Cause of death Yellows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause of death Yellows?

Hi, Just rec a death cert and it says Yellows as cause of death.

Can anyone enlighten me please? Is it jaundice?

Thanks

]

It appears to be the veterinary term for jaundice

Comment

Is it catching as he died the end of Nov and his wife and dau died in the same quarter. I havent got those certs yet..

Thanks Mary..

]

Comment

Is it catching
        I would imagine it would depend on what was causing the jaundice. (Jaundice being a symptom of lots of different diseases, rather than a disease in itself)

I wonder if, in this case, they didn't know what caused the jaundice?

Comment

Hmmm dont know Merry as thats all it says.

I googled jaundice and it says its not contagious. I think I better order his wifes cert as Im not too sure on the daughters death yet..maybe they were both alchos lol..

]

Comment

Yellows can be caused by many things, as you said, alcohol, bt there are the viruses, although we have only identified them in recent years, they have been arround, probably for ever.

Hepatitis A, doesn't ususally kill you these days, but I expect in days of poor nutrition and poor general health it could have, that is mainly contracted from unsanitary conditions, poor water supply, etc. I had this as a 10 year old, probably caught it from playing in a drainage ditch fishing for minnows and sticklebacks! I was very yellow, and beacause it wasn't known at the time what was what, I was kept in isolation. The good thing is that I've not needed the jab to travel!!!! But it is quite likely if one person in the family had it so could others have caught it from the same source.

The other Hepatitis viruses are ususally associated with sexual activity and/or blood transferance, so probably not relevent to your family.

Would be interesting to know if it was a yellow condition that took them all.
            Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Thanks Sue, thats interesting.

I will order his wifes cert and see what that turns up. He was a weaver living in a poor are so your explanation does make sense..

]

Comment

could it be yellow fever?brenda xxx

Comment

Suppose it could be Brenda. I will order his wifes cert and see what she died of, thanks

]

Comment

I must admit, I thought about Yellow fever, but I think that is unlikely in this country, but I don't have text books to hand, so memory could be failing me!
                    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Yellow fever, equatorial Africa, the virus is transmitted by mosquito.

Probably not that then!
                      Sue x

Comment

but i think if you have been abroad you can carry it brenda xxx

Comment

I had thought of that, but I think it's only endemic in Africa.

No idea whether a carrier can trasmit it to other humans.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-07-08, 15:28.

Comment

I might find out more when I get Isabellas death cert,,
                            Last edited by Northern Light; 09-07-08, 15:40.

]

Comment

There was an outbreak of jaundice in Epping in I think the 1960s. Caused by people eating bread from the same bakery, which had used contaminated flour to make it.

Sure the cert says "yellows"? Though I can't think of another term that could look like that.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

From Archaic Medical Terms:

Yellows = Icterus

Icterus =

A disease, the principal symptoms of which is yellowness of the skin and eyes, with white feces and high-colored urine. It admits of various causes; in fact, any thing which can directly or indirectly obstruct the course of the bile, so that it is taken into the mass of blood and produces the yellowness of surface; the bile being separated by the kidneys, causes yellowness of urine, and its being prevented from reaching the intestine occasions the pale colored feces. [Dunglison1855].

The presence of jaundice seen in the sclera of the eye. Jaundice. [CancerWEB]

Comment

Ugh!

Well done Merry.
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                    From Archaic Medical Terms:
                                    Yellows = Icterus
                                    Icterus =
                                    A disease, the principal symptoms of which is yellowness of the skin and eyes, with white feces and high-colored urine. It admits of various causes; in fact, any thing which can directly or indirectly obstruct the course of the bile, so that it is taken into the mass of blood and produces the yellowness of surface; the bile being separated by the kidneys, causes yellowness of urine, and its being prevented from reaching the intestine occasions the pale colored feces. [Dunglison1855].

The presence of jaundice seen in the sclera of the eye. Jaundice. [CancerWEB]
                                    Well!! I hope I dont take after them in the looks department lol

I have ordered Isabellas death cert who is my 4th great gran and I look forward to seeing if she died of yellow skin, orange wee and white poo...sorry :D. I will let you know the results when I have the cert..thanks, your all stars!

]

Comment

*orders blindfold, to be worn the day the certificate arrives*

:(

Comment

Merry lol..2 blindfolds needed! :D

After Isabella the mother theres another one to get!
                                        Daughter Alice (1st daughter) who I think died 2ndq 1843 Wigan 21 523. I wonder if she started the *bug* off or am I once again on the wrong track and shes safely married.
                                        It was the 2nd dau Mary who attended the death of William so at least she was alive in Nov 44 lol..I think Mary must have registered the death cause her mum was in bed changing colour and dying!:o

]

Comment

Working...
                                        X