IGI puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI puzzle

I've been trying to find out what happened to my great-grandfather's cousin Laura Ann Bristow for years. But couldn't justify forking out the £7 for her marriage certificate as she's only a side-branch. She married either Henry Kember or William Pool Sep 1876 Greenwich, according to the IGI. The other one married Mary Jane Burnett. I'd never managed to trace any of them before (think Mary Jane was missing from FreeBMD the last time I'd checked), but just now the IGI came up with William Pool marrying Mary Jane Burnett 21 Aug 1876 Greenwich, batch I029015. Had a look at the batch and they were all Greenwich marriages, so I went through and found Laura Ann Briton marrying Henry Newbold. It also gives their father's names - Laura's is Robert James L Briton and Henry's is Henry Newbold.

I can understand Laura's surname being mistranscribed as Briton instead of Bristow, but the handwriting must have been very bad for them to read Kember as Newbold - and presumably in three different places on the certificate too! I wonder how many other mistakes there are in the batch. Now at least I know who she married, so I can stop looking for her under Pool(e).
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Have you found her yet, Kite??

Comment

No, no sign. I bet they emigrated, but I haven't managed to work out where to! There are more Henry Kembers around than you might think, and hardly any Lauras. I'm assuming it is the IGI that's wrong rather than the GRO since (a) they got Laura's surname wrong and (b) I don't think there were many Newbolds in London. But I might have to try under Newbold soon if I don't get anywhere. It doesn't help that on ancestry I keep ending up with either loads of Kembers who were born in the USA or people born in England but not called Kember. I can't figure out how to get Kembers born in England on my initial search of all databases!
      KiteRunner

Comment

By the way, she was born in 1853 in Horsleydown (often listed under Southwark or Bermondsey or just London or Surrey) if you fancy looking.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          By the way, she was born in 1853 in Horsleydown (often listed under Southwark or Bermondsey or just London or Surrey) if you fancy looking.
          I thought that would be the one! lol

Comment

HI KiteRunner

Is it just from marriage onwards that you require info for Laura?
            WendyP

Comment

Yes, Wendy, I'm just really trying to find out what happened to her. I think they must have emigrated.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
              X