Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't find the death of GGGGGrandfather!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't find the death of GGGGGrandfather!

Joseph Beeding (or Beading!) was abt 75 and living in the Portsea Workhouse in 1851. (his wife and family were living in Church Street Portsea so presumably he was unwell).
    I have been unable to find him in 1861. His wife is still alive and is listed as a widow.
    I have searched findmypast and Ancestry for his death between 1851 and 1861 without success - (yes, I have tried FreeBMD too). I know there are gaps in the online records so where do you suggest I go from here?
    All suggestions gratefully received.

What county is Portsea in?

Comment

Portsea is the name formerly used for Portsmouth in Hampshire

Long past my bedtime now.....will check in again tomorrow
      Last edited by Shirley silver surfer; 09-07-08, 00:02.

Comment

Just checked the National Burial Index, nothing. But, there is very little anyway for Hampshire

Comment

I was totally unable to find a death reg for my ggg grandfather, but like you, I knew roughly when and where he had died, in 1856. I eventually was able to look at the parish records and found his burial. However even armed with the exact date (or near enough) I still cannot get a death cert. It seems he just wasn't registered.

Anne

Comment

It might be that the death cert copy never reached the GRO, so you could try contactng the relevant local register office.

I do sympathise though, I have several relatives in both my and my husband's trees who don't appear to have died (one of them manages to avoid all the censuses too!).
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site

have you tried this site if he died there maybe they have records

Comment

Just wondering if it could be this death:

Joseph Beadon, Sep Qtr 1853, Portsea. 2b / 201

Comment

The Workhouse will probably have his death.

My great-great-grandfather JOHN QUINTRELL was master of Portsea Workhouse, but this was in the 1870s until the 1890s!!

However, we have found extensive records for the workhouse. If you look at on-line newspapers you will find a record of how many people were in the workhouse (I think once a month) with births and deaths recorded in numbers.

Also, details of workhouse meetings were recorded.

If you contact Portsmouth Record Office they will hold a lot of records.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I found this link:

Portsea Island Workhouse register 1881 - Online Memorial - Gallery - Timeline - Memories

There is a Frances Beeding mentioned.

There is lots of info on the workhouse on Google.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Shirley, I don't know if Frances Beeding is one of yours, but here she is on the 1881 census:

www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site

For some reason it won't put the link directly to the 1881 census, so you have to scroll down the page past the pictures and then click on the link to the 1881 census there.

After the staff it is alphabetical, so she is easy to find.

You will see my great-great grandparents at the top! My great-grandmother Ada would have been away at school, because it was cheaper to send them away than have all eight children at home, because they were charged board and lodging by the Workhouse authorities!
                      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 09-07-08, 11:00.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Going back to the comment about the death cert info not making to the GRO.

I have two death certs that I had to get from local offices because they aren't on the GRO indexes. I have rechecked since.

I found the burials in the parish registers and went from there.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I think a visit to Portsmouth Record Office is called for. I will also take a look at the parish records for St Mary, Portsea and maybe the burial records too.

By the way Frances Beeding is a bit of a problem as that is the name of Joseph's second wife and in 1881 she would have been over 90! However, I will look into that too even though I am descended from Joseph's first wife Elizabeth.

Comment

I think the death Lyn found looks promising. My gt x 3 grandfather John Mealing was registered at death as Mealins, as was his wife. The family name also appears as Malen, Maling, Malins.

Comment

Thanks Nell. The first track I was going to follow was that one - I have been unable to find any other reference to a Joseph Beadon and I think it is highly likely he is gggggranddad - I am hoping the name might be correct in the burial register. I suppose it is highly likely that the workhouse authorities made a mistake or the registrar misheard!!!!

Comment

Well who is to say what is correct, Shirley?

Our ancestors wouldn't necessarily have written their names much. Maybe an X on their marriage lines and that would be it.

Not like today where we are constantly filling in forms for everything - council tax, passport applications, driving licence applications, bank cards, credit cards, library tickets, etc etc etc.

However a name might have settled, there's no telling what the "proper" spelling was. Shakespeare himself never signed his name Shakespeare, and had many variants on his surname.

Beadon for Beeding/Beading doesn't seem too far removed.

I've got a family that morphed from Aylesbury/Ailsbury/Ailesbury to Elsbury. That took a bit of sorting out!

Comment

Working...
                                X