Alexander Mc Bain C1852 Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander Mc Bain C1852 Scotland

I am looking for information on my great grandfather, Alexander McBain who was born in Scotland and later went to England. He married Phoebe De Sola in London. His father was Alexander McBain, who at the time of Alexander juniors marriage, had died. He was a Seaman.

Has anyone got any information to help my search.

Got the marriage ( a lucky stab!)

Mile End Old Town, Apr-Jun 1893 (vol 1c page 803)

Desola is indexed as one word. On the image it looks like vol 1a.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 08-07-08, 22:23.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Poor Phoebe didn't last long. By 1901 Alexander is a widower
      57 Globe Road, Mile End:
      Alexander, wid., 51, tinned foods preserver born Aberdeen
      William (son), 14 born Brighton
      James (son) 12 born Mile End
      Clara (dau) 5 born Mile End
      Elizabeth B Hewitt (housekeeper) born Leamington

So it looks as if Alexander might have been married before.

Comment

Can't see a death for Phoebe on Ancestry FreeBMD, so she is either mistranscribed, not yet transcribed or known by another name.

Comment

Or not really dead!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Anyway, it looks as though what you want to do is trace Alexander's family back? Given the place of birth is Aberdeen (i.e. Aberdeenshire) on that 1901 census entry, there are two possibilities listed for his birth on the IGI, both with fathers named Alexander:

Alexander McBain born 30 Feb 1852, christened 16 Nov 1852 Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, parents Alexander McBain and Mary Soutter.

Alexander McBain born 12 Sep 1853, christened 2 Oct 1853 St Nicholas, Aberdeen, parents Alexander McBain and Henrietta Munro.

There are some others born in different years.

So we need to get some more info on your Alexander to work out which is the right one. For instance, if one of his children was given Soutter or Munro as a middle name, or Henrietta as a first name, it would be a good indication. If one was named Mary then it might not mean much!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              Or not really dead!
              Exactly!!

This is Phoebe and Alexander in 1901 in St George in the East, transcribed as McBaie!!

RG13; Piece: 310; Folio: 17; Page: 28

Alexander head m 46 Bricklayers Labourer b Scotland
              Phoebe wife m 33 b St Geo in the East
              Samuel son 6 ditto
              Betsy dau 4 ditto
              Amelia dau 1 ditto

at 16 Mary St, St Geo in the East, London
              Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 09-07-08, 12:39.

Comment

Phoebe's birth (just to confirm I have the right couple!):

Births Dec 1867
                De Sola Phoebe Whitechapel 1c 388

But it's Alexander you want info on. Hmmmm......

Comment

There's a family of McBain's in London in 1891 headed by widow Jane McBain 60 and a son called Alex, roughly the right age (b Ayrshire) but that's not him, because back in 1861 Jane's husband was Peter McBain, house decorator. :(

Comment

His father was Alexander McBain, who at the time of Alexander juniors marriage, had died. He was a Seaman.
                    I'm not sure from the above whether Alex was a seaman or his dec'd father was a seaman.

However, there is an Alex McBain occ seaman (mate) aged 26 on the Scottish 1881 census born Peterhead, Aberdeenshire.

Comment

PLease ignore this post and the next few and proceed to post 24!!! lol

Or if it's the dad who was a seaman, there's this one (best fit!!):

Alexander McBain 33 Ship's carpenter b St Nicholas, Aberdeen
                      Barbra McBain 31 b Old Machar, Aberdeen
                      Alexander McBain 7 St Nicholas, Aberdeen
                      John Lewis bro-in-law 20 Ships carpenter b Old Machar, Aberdeen

but if dad was a seaman, then he might not have been at home for the census.
                      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 09-07-08, 13:48.

Comment

Oh EURIKA! lol

If John LEWIS is bro-in-law in the last post, then Lewis is that Alexander's mother's maiden name.

Then we have the birth reg is Alexander's son, Samuel:

Births Dec 1894
                        McBain Samuel Lewis Bethnal G. 1c 219

Comment

I don't think we need worry too much about Samuel's birth reg not being in ST George in the East (as per 1901 census page) as Betsy's isn't there either - hers is Whitechapel! lol Amelia's is in St Geo in the East District.

Comment

Marriage of Alex's parents from the IGI:

ALEXANDER MCBAIN
                            Marriages:
                            Spouse: BARBARA LEWIS
                            Marriage: 17 JUN 1859 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland
                            Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

Comment

Oooh that was after he was born!!

*tuts* lol

Comment

Now I'm not so sure...........was Lewis only Alex's step mother (why can't things be straightforward?)

ALEXANDER MCBAIN
                                Event(s):
                                Birth: 12 SEP 1853

Christening: 02 OCT 1853 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland

Parents:
                                Father: ALEXANDER MCBAIN
                                Mother: HENRIETTA MUNRO
                                Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Comment

Alex had a sister who isn't on the 1861 census:

CATHARINE DUFF MC BAIN
                                  Event(s):
                                  Birth: 31 JUL 1855 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland
                                  Parents:
                                  Father: ALEXANDER MC BAIN
                                  Mother: HENRIETTA MUNRO
                                  Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Would Alexander have named his son Lewis after his step-mother?? I have no idea. Of course it might turn out that "Lewis" is elsewhere in the family too.....

Comment

If that 1901 census entry with the Alexander who was a widower isn't the right one (since you've found the one where he has Phoebe with him, Merry), we don't know whether he came from Aberdeenshire now, do we? The 1901 entry you found just says Scotland. I think there were quite a lot of Alexander McBains from various counties when I looked at the IGI. And I'm not sure if ship's carpenter is the same as seaman... so we need to be careful not to go wrong.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

By playing with the Scotands people index I can see there's a death for a Henrietta McBain in 1856.

Comment

Oooh I don't know if they are the right ones.........*moves forward nervously*

1871 father and son are both ships carpenters.

Comment

Working...
                                        X