Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colllecting names for a one named study.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colllecting names for a one named study.

As some of you may know I have been collecting the name Brewerton for a one named study. I started it about 4 years ago.
    This Jan. someone sent me their ged com and this spurred me to put all the info I had on to tribal pages.
    I now have 1029 Brewertons and several name changes ie Brererton etc.
    I have contacted everyone on GR who has the name.
    Approx. 120 people have shared their info, (100 did not respond) and I have also contacted people on Tribal Pages and Ancestry.
    By using Google I have also found trees with great info including photos.
    So now where?
    I do plan to continue trawling through the census info but does anyone know of any other site where people have their trees?
    Or any other thoughts.
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Jeanie

What about bmds? Also try A2A (you'll have to play with the spellings).

Parish regs would also be another thing to investigate.

OC

Comment

The Gale Newspapers? (again, experimenting with the spellings).

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Oc,
        Many thanks for your thoughts. I have used bmds and the census to add to trees that I have been given.
        Have also searched on A2A and have some good finds on there.
        Have also tried the times archive and had the odd bit of gossip.
        I am hoping to find new lines that I know nothing about or branches as yet unfound.
        I think it's going to be slow and steady from now on.
        Jeanie
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Hi Christine,
          Yes, Gale has been great.
          Searching for:

Comment

Historical Directories?

Christine
            (PS - but it sounds as if you've covered all the obvious things)
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It is some time since I have tried HD.
              Will go and have a look now.
              Thanks
              Christine.
              Searching for:

Comment

Jeanie

I found a rich vein of information in the local paper, for one area of my one name study, and this extended my knowledge of that branch by nearly 500 names!

As you say, it is slow and steady from now on, but you will keep finding new sources of info, just as you are about to give up.

How far back are you intending to take it? If you are short of something to do (HAR HAR) you could do it the naughty way, by going back to the first recorded instance of the name and bringing it forward.

This has paid off in my case and has given me a far better overview of the whole family and how people got to where they are today.

OC

Comment

Can I butt in and ask how you organise the info??

I'm doing Sawrey, Kirkby and Ariel (all by accident LOL) and have hundreds of names and records, but not sure how to arrange them.

Comment

Jeanie, instead of doing trees, how about making some databases for the name? (sorry if you've already done it!). With my one name Society we have a complete extract of the name from the GRO index on Excel - one sheet for births, one for marriages and one for deaths. Having the data in a searchable form is surprisingly informative and you can cross reference people in quite unexpected ways.

Obviously it has taken a lot of work by several people to do that (there are nearly 19,000 births LOL). I am now working on computerising the Probate calendar extracts in the same way. Again I am finding the cross referencing interesting.

We also have extensive Parish records but this will probably never be complete - there are far too many parishes for a start! We do NOT include anything from the IGI in the PR database, although obviously we use the IGI as a guide to where to extract next. One of our members lives in London and visits the Society of Genealogists regularly.

Anne
                    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 08-07-08, 23:15.

Comment

Mine is basically a database too, but where the information falls into trees, I put it on Tribal Pages.

It is surprising how much of it DOES fall into trees too, from what started out as just a list of names and events.

OC

Comment

Thanks for all your input.
                        Hi Ann, I have put quite a bit of stuff on excell. The 1841 and 1851 census and various parish records that they have on ancestry. I also have quite a bit of american info that needs to be put in order which I plan to do in the winter.
                        The earlier the better OC. At the moment I'm having fun gathering the history of a George Brewerton 1665 whose family were involved in both the wars of independence and the civil war and also have a famous artist.
                        Harry's mum,
                        I have made many mistakes as I have gone along since I am not your natural record keeper. However, when ever I receive info from someone I put the info under several headings. For example if it was my tree I would have a file for Wales where I put the tree, this is A4 with plastic pockets, a file for Wales where I put any other info such as BMDs.
                        I have an indexed book where under B I would put Jeanie Brewertons tree starts with William 1765 and under W would put Wales: Jeanie Brewerton has a tree starting in Wales, Hawarden.
                        After 4 years of gathering info I copied various geds I had been given and put it on to tribal pages and added the rest by hand.
                        Hours of fun work!!
                        Since starting, TP had a way of marking trees with a colour so that helps. I also put the place of birth next to the name eg. Daniel Brewerton 1840 (Hawarden).
                        This helps when trawling through hundreds of Johns or James.
                        Another thing I have done is put e-mails into a one named study folder. Wish I had done this 4 years ago since I have lost some good contacts.
                        I have used googel a lot and have lots of images relating to the times such as maps or even paintings.
                        Thanks once again
                        Jeanie
                        Searching for:

Comment

There are 363 hits in the Gazette for the surname Brewerton:

Home

Lots of hits on Google book search and image search, too.

Comment

Many thanks for the gazette link, Mary.
                            That will keep me busy for a while!!
                            Searching for:

Comment

There are a few in Australia, if you're interested.

Comment

I have lots of NZ Brewertons but not many from OZ. Do you have a link?
                                Many thanks
                                Jeanie
                                Searching for:

Comment

These should keep you going for a bit. I haven't checked the NAA or Vic sites because they're not responding, and I haven't checked the first cemetery site because it'd take too long, but all the others have at least one Brewerton.

NSW BMDs:

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index Search

NSW archives:

WA BMDs:

Searching WA Online Indexes

Vic BMDs:

Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages - Index Search - Historical Index Search Form

No Brewertons listed in Queensland BMDs. Other states not online.

Cemeteries:

Australian Cemeteries
                                  MCB Site

Ryerson index (obituaries):

Ryerson Index

National Archives (mainly service records and passenger lists):

RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia

Electoral rolls (you need the Aus. subscription for full details, ie. address and occupation, but you can do a name search if you have the UK sub):

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936 - Ancestry.co.uk

Sands directories (ditto):

General search page giving access to convict and passenger records:

Discover your family history and start your family tree. Try free and access billions of genealogy records including Census, BDM & Military records
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-07-08, 19:46.

Comment

That's brilliant Mary,
                                    Many thanks
                                    Jeanie
                                    Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                                    X