Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Army records

Can anyone advise me please.

I have been looking for Great War Army details - pension, medals etc of my grandfather for ages. I know that they are not yet 'up to date' but it is promised that all will be revealed in its splendid entirety by the end of the year. His surname begins with 'P' but I can't see him - does anyone know if all the 'P's' have been completed yet?

Hopefully not, so I may still stand a chance of finding him!

Thank you

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Have you had a look in the Wiki for this topic? I can't immediately spot what you'd need, but it might be worth a browse.

Also, last November's e-magazine had a number of articles about WW1 research.

And if you use the Thread-search here, you might find another thread with useful info on the topic.

Whatever else, you should be aware that there's a risk that the record you'd like to see may have been amongst those that were burned as a result of a bomb in WW2.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine - I'd heard about the 'burned records'. Bet you he's amongst them!!

Gwyn

Comment

If you can't find his medal index card on ancestry, have a look on TNA Documents Online website, because there are a lot of mistranscriptions on ancestry. Then if you find him on TNA, don't spend £3.50 yet - note down the regiment number etc and then search the medal cards on ancestry leaving out his name but just using the number, and see if any come up that could be mangled versions of his name, then view them on there. If you don't find it on ancestry then you could pay TNA for it.

I don't know whether the P's are completed on ancestry yet but as has been said, a lot of the records were destroyed so will never turn up.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the tip Kite. I've had a scoot through the TNA records, but still can't see him - sigh!

I'll keep your suggestions in mind if I need to find someone else.

Gwyn

Comment

Did you try with just his initial rather than his full first name?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

When I looked on the Ancestry database info yesterday, it said that the info was complete A-H.

Not sure that I could find it again, mind!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just to clarify. There are 2 series of WW1 records for "other ranks". Ref WO364, the so-called Pension records, which according to Ancestry, are now all online. The other series, WO363, which is MUCH the biggest of the 2, is only complete on Ancestry for surnames A-H, plus I think the missorts for A-Z. There are therefore surnames I-Z still to appear.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X