Strays index website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strays index website

Has anyone seen the following, lots of info.

Blue Dragon Strays Index - Bringing lost ancestors home

I saw it recently Sue, there's not a lot on it as yet for most areas. It seems to want submissions to be sent in for inclusion.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I don't know if I'm just a bit thick, but I can never quite see the point of these Strays indexes.

Surely, if you can't find your man in his town, you widen your search??? Or have I missed the point as usual?

OC

Comment

These seem to be baptisms and marriages (and burials?) which state that the people were from some other place, though, so they look more useful than the more usual census strays, which I suppose were worth doing before all the censuses were put online! If the baptisms and marriages are on the IGI, for instance, then it likely won't tell you their home parish on there as well as where the event itself took place.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks - I've bookmarked it for possible future ref.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

So have I - thank you, Sue

Have added it to the Wiki (this page - http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/..._British_Isles )
            as we didn't have it
            Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 08-07-08, 19:36.
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

OC,

I can tell you I am extremely grateful for one strays index. I was searching for the birth of an elusive ancestor, who according to the censuses was born c1834 in the City of London. As there are about a hundred parishes it took a great deal of searching for his baptism over several months but still he didn't appear. Eventually when I was pursuing another line at the London Metropolitan Archives I happened to see for sale a booklet "they came from ... Bethnal Green" and there was my ancestor. He had indeed been born in the City of London but his baptism was in the register of the Lying-in Hospital. Without that chance sighting of the booklet I don't think I would ever have found him.

Peter

Comment

Working...
              X