1919 death - searching newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1919 death - searching newspapers

After finding OH's great-grandmother's death in September 1919 in Holyhead - where she "fell between ship and shore" while on her way to Ireland, is there anywhere that I can search newspapers? I would have thought the incident might have made the press.

I have tried Times Digital Archives to no avail. On Gale most of the newspapers stop at 1900.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Elizabeth

You probably won't find anything online. It may only have made national papers as a tiny para if they were short of news that day.

If you have the death cert, does it say there was an inquest? The death and/or inquest would have been reported in the local press.

Local newspapers are archived at the British Library newspaper collection, but a better option if you have exact dates is to e-mail the relevant lcounty library service who could probably send you a photocopy. The Records Office may have newspapers too, but libraries tend to be cheaper and quicker to respond.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell,

I'm about to send for her death certificate today as we only found out when she died yesterday. I think I shall have to wait for that. Hopefully it will say where her permanent address was, rather than just where she was at the time of her death, so that might help.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
      X