Legacy 7 SourceWriter now includes UK Templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy 7 SourceWriter now includes UK Templates

According to Legacy News, the company has just released a new (free) update for Legacy 7, which includes SourceWriter templates for various UK (England, Wales, IoM, Channel Is.) sources, such as:

* 1841 census
    * 1851 census
    * 1861 census
    * 1871 census
    * 1881 census
    * 1891 census
    * 1901 census
    * Birth certificates from General Register Office
    * Birth certificates from local register office
    * Marriage certificates from General Register Office
    * Marriage certificates from local register office
    * Death certificates from General Register Office
    * Death certificates from local register office

This should alleviate the necessity of trying to make these records 'fit' into equivalent U.S. templates, which record different data in other fields.

As far as I know, the SourceWriter is only available with the Legacy 7 Deluxe Edition (i.e., not with the free Standard Edition).

Anyone who's interested in seeing what new capabilities have been added with Legacy 7, as well as the features carried over from previous versions, should take a look at this page.

Tim
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that information. I have just finished reading the Legacy news e-mail but hadn't realised the UK templates have now been added.

I have Legacy 6 Deluxe and am trying to decide whether to buy the upgrade or not. Now that you've been using Legacy 7 Deluxe for a while, would you recommend it?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
      ... I have Legacy 6 Deluxe and am trying to decide whether to buy the upgrade or not. Now that you've been using Legacy 7 Deluxe for a while, would you recommend it?
      Hi Gillian,

I understand your dilemma - I put off buying Legacy 6 Deluxe for a long time, as I had both Legacy 5 Deluxe and Legacy 6 Standard on my computer, and wasn't sure that the few extras I was missing were worth spending money on. I was glad when I finally did upgrade, though, and after a couple of weeks I'd forgotten about the cost (US$22/£11 for the download-only option, which is quite reasonable, IMO).

I suppose it depends how much you're adding to your database (if a lot, then the SourceWriter would be useful), what you use the program for (if creating charts, then it's definitely worthwhile), and how large your database is (there are improved Search capabilities in version 7, but I don't know if they're included in the Standard Edition or not).

I don't think you'll be unhappy with Legacy 7 Deluxe - they've kept the user interface more or less the same (unlike when FTM changed from their 2006 to 2008 version), except for Charting which runs as a stand alone program. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have any genealogy software, or who is thinking about switching over from another program.

I guess on balance, I would recommend upgrading. Legacy 7 has only been out for a month, so I don't expect a new version anytime in the near future. And in the meantime, there should be several more free updates, which you won't get with Legacy 6. The final choice, of course, is up to you.

Good luck whichever way you decide -

Tim
      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks for the detailed review Tim.

I tried the charting when the free trial was running and was very impressed, so that's one of the most tempting aspects of 7 Deluxe for me. But, also, I've never been very happy with the way I've entered my sources so the templates are appealing, but I don't know if I could face altering all the existing entries!

The cost is very reasonable so I think I'll probably go for it.
        Gillian

Comment

I've gone from Legacy v5 Deluxe to v7 Deluxe so don't know what I missed in the middle but am over the moon with the new version. Have dowloaded the UK source writer (there are more to come I believe) and absolutely love the charting - it is so easy and there are so many things you can do with it. I have tried several different systems but just love this one.

Marion
          There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Marion - it's good to hear of another fan of 7 Deluxe. I've tried several different programmes too over the years and Legacy is definitely my personal favourite.

I believe there are plans to sell the charting as a separate programme too, to work with most of the major family tree programmes.
            Gillian

Comment

I'm just starting to use the new version of the source writer...... WOW!! Love it Love it Love it!!! So much so that my front room is a mess as I've dragged my folders out to go through two years + of work to update everything :o

Comment

I've just bought Version 7 Deluxe too, but I haven't had time to play with it yet , so I'm watching this thread with interest.
                Did you all upload your old files from 6 (or whatever you had before) straight into the new package?

Beverley

Comment

Hi Bev -

If I remember correctly, all I had to do was go to the menu bar at the top and choose File -> Open Family File and where it asks which directory to look in, I navigated to my Legacy6/Data directory and clicked on the right filename. I then chose Save Family File As and directed it to save in the Legacy7/Data directory. There was probably a message about converting the file format, but I think all I had to do was click on OK. In any event, it was dead easy and took no time at all.

HTH -

Tim

Comment

Same as Tim for me!

Really nice to know others are using Legacy and enjoying it as so many use the other one

I think it shows as it's not often we post queries compared to other programmes , which I think shows it's strengths!

Comment

Thanks Tim and Peppie....I did that with a sample file, but just wondered about the change involved in the Source Writer and whether it would be better to overhaul the files manually...like Peppie, I have a lot of pre existing stuff.

I'll take a proper look when I've got more time, so I know what I'm talking about

Beverley

Comment

I just saw on the Legacy site that there was a small update released yesterday (July 13) in which they've added 35 new templates for the census records of Scotland.

Tim

Comment

Love Legacy! Upgraded to 7 deluxe as soon as it came out.

As for converting to the new source style using the sourcewriter, they have promised a sourcewriter conversion tool to make this easier but haven't put a date on it.

I manually converted one source - 1841 census - and all the citations associated with it and it didn't take long. The procedure I followed was to create a new source using the sourcewriter template; then highlighted the old source (view - master lists - source) and clicked on 'show list', then 'create search list'; went through the search list name by name and selected each in turn; click on the sources icon for the person, edit the detail of the original citation, copy; open the source clipboard, select the new source, paste all the info into the first line then cut and paste from there to the appropriate fields; save and go to the next one. The final step was to verify that the citations to the new source were basically identical to the citations for the old source; again utilizing the search list. Then view - master list - source; highlight old source, then options - delete master source.

Worked like a charm, but you could always wait for the conversion tool. There is actually a description of how it will work in help: search for sourcewriter, list topics - one of them will be Source Template Conversion Tool.

Lynda

Comment

Lynda - hello and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the information about the sourcewriter.
                            Gillian

Comment

Oh this looks good might get it to work along side with FTM thats folks ;;
                              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for sharing your experience - I'll probably convert my existing sources "one of these days", and I'll make sure to re-read your post.

Let me add my welcome to FTF - it's a fabulous site, with some very knowledgeable and helpful people, plus the Wiki - our Reference Library - is well worth exploring.

I'm not sure what part of Canada you live in, but there's going to be a Legacy 7 training course as part of this year'sBIFHSGO Fall Conference in Ottawa. It may be worthwhile if you live reasonably close.

Looking forward to seeing you in other forums and finding out about your counties/surnames of interest.

Tim

Comment

Yes can I also add my welcome to you Lynda, its a very helpful friendly site ;;
                                  Well Tim I have paid my money and just waitng for them to send me my download now, I have played between my FTM and free legacy for long time so carnt wait to see what the new paying version is going to give me ,;;;;

Comment

Gillian, Tim, and Babs: thanks for the friendly welcome!

Tim, I live in Winnipeg in Friendly Manitoba (that's what it says on our license plates). I was just reading about that conference yesterday on the Legacy site. But I am afraid the cost is just way out of reach for me - travel, conf fees, hotel, etc.

All of my father's and half of my mother's ancestors are from the UK, so I've been doing a lot of research via the internet. Technology, ya gotta luv it! Been having some success with my mother's side, back to 1725 on one line.

Oh, just remembered - the source citations I was updating, noticed that in a search list the detail doesn't show up. It's there, just doesn't display. I have submitted a problem log to Legacy, so expect it will be fixed soon. Or else I will find out that I have done something wrong.

Lynda

Comment

Will still follow this thread as I have just managed to get it downloaded with all bits and pieces ,,,need to play with it bit more now instead of FTM see which I think is best;;;
                                      Lynda you will find it a nice friendy site dont be afraid to ask for help if you need it ;;

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
                                        Gillian, Tim, and Babs: thanks for the friendly welcome!

Tim, I live in Winnipeg in Friendly Manitoba (that's what it says on our license plates). I was just reading about that conference yesterday on the Legacy site. But I am afraid the cost is just way out of reach for me - travel, conf fees, hotel, etc.

All of my father's and half of my mother's ancestors are from the UK, so I've been doing a lot of research via the internet. Technology, ya gotta luv it! Been having some success with my mother's side, back to 1725 on one line.

Oh, just remembered - the source citations I was updating, noticed that in a search list the detail doesn't show up. It's there, just doesn't display. I have submitted a problem log to Legacy, so expect it will be fixed soon. Or else I will find out that I have done something wrong.

Lynda
                                        Hi Lynda and welcome to FTF.

I have family that disappeared in Winnipeg ca 1924...have just had a modest success using the Manitoba Vital Statistics online database in locating one of them. Would be interested to know if there are other sources I can use in your area

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                                        X