X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Solved! :)

This is OH's Newton family (again)!

Yesterday we went to visit my daughter.

OH's great-grandfather was George Herbert Newton, born in Dec. 1850 in Newington. He was the last of 10 children. Father James was a firebrick merchant at Bankside Southwark.

We found the house where George lived with his family (47 Selby Road Penge - not very nice there now) and where Percy Gerald (OH's grandfather) was born.

We went to Beckenham Cemetry, as OH's uncle said Percy was buried there. However, thousands of graves and the office was shut.

My daughter has just phoned! She phoned the cemetry and they looked up the name she gave (George Herbert Newton) and gave her the grave reference. They said the office would give us a map to find it!

HOWEVER, just before hanging up she asked if there were others in the grave -
    THERE WERE FOUR!!!

We have been looking for the death of OH's great-grandmother for ages - Emily Newton, daughter of the John Newton, OH's (other) Newton family from Braceby Lincs. She fell between ship and shore on her way to Ireland. My m-i-l thought she was 7 or 8 when it happened. However, the chap in the office said it was September 1919! I have now found her death in Holyhead in 1919 (they look to be 2 years out with her age!)

So now we can send for the death certificate.

George was only 35 when he died, and Percy only 54.

So in the grave are George and Emily (parents) and Percy, and also Rose Elsie, the sister of Percy and daughter of George and Emily. She died in 1961. She never married. I didn't know when she died either!

My daughter is so thrilled, and we were so excited to solve the mystery of Emily's death!!

Can't wait to visit the grave!
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 11-10-09, 11:15.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Oh how exciting Elizabeth. It is nice to get them buried isn't it, not that I've found many :( and to find other info too, what a great piece of research!
    Sue

Comment

I love finding burials, its so much more personal then just having a death certificate
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Brilliant Elizabeth!

One of my biggest headaches was solved by Monumental Inscriptions (I bless the unselfish soul who mucked around in the graveyard doing them, whoever you are!).

I had my man in a village in 1700s. There appeared to be three men of the same name over a time span of 70 years but I could only find one baptism. I fiddled around for ages, and the parish registers didn't help.

When I discovered the MIs - it was all ONE man, married 3 times and had 27 children over a time span of 49 years. There were three graves, one for each wife, but as the children died, so they went into whichever space was available, thus enabling me to connect all the children to one father.

There is no way I could have ever sorted this out, mainly because the Vicar, who must have known him well AND buried the two previous wives, marks him as a bachelor, not a widower on the second and third marriage!

Oh - wives one and three had identical names......but not identical birth dates.

OC

Comment

OC - you always seem to have the most complicated family relationships! ;)

A bit like my Alexander gt gt grandfather who got through 4 wives in 20 years! I wonder how they were all buried.

Monumental inscriptions can be inaccurate, though. OH's Newton ancestors (some) were buried in Ropsley churchyard (Lincs). Lincolnshire Archives has the MIs for the church, but they have "Isabella Newton" and "Mbella" as the writing is very curly!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

So pleased for you, its so satisfying to get a result!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

:D Great news. It is great when things fall together

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Well done! So pleasing when you get such a result.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X