I can't read any of it - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't read any of it - help

I have just downloaded a document from TNA dated 1377.

I can't read a word of it - I am guessing its in Latin, Can anyone offer me some assistance (Cat Ref SC/8/215/10731)

Thanks
    Last edited by vikki brace; 07-07-08, 14:49.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Vikki - I have sent you a pm.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Is anyone good at reading Old French??

Vikki sent me a copy, but it is very difficult to read.

It mentions "gages" - wages.

The problem is I can't read enough of it to make any sense! If we can transcribe it there shouldn't be such a problem!
      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 07-07-08, 15:55.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

5th row from the bottom I can make out "John Ticheme?rssh" which might help in reading the script. Once we familiarise ourself with the letters it might be easier.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

Ok, here is some of it. I can email a complete copy if anyone can help

Thanks
          Vikki -

Comment

I can read "le Roy" a few times (the King) - roi, old French roy.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Does the precis TNA provides help at all? This is a free doc, so anyone can download it.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                Does the precis TNA provides help at all? This is a free doc, so anyone can download it.
                Sorry the what?

its ok I looked the word up (Precis that is.)

it says
                "Ramesey requests that whereas he has asked the King to grant him the office of 'heirers' with the usual wages of 12d. a day and fees for the summer, that they consider the petitioner's long service and grant him the said wages for life"

it mentions John Titchmarsh, but I don't know in what context
                Last edited by vikki brace; 07-07-08, 15:34.
                Vikki -

Comment

I was about to say I can see the word "l'office" repeated throughout the document.

I can read it slightly better now but it's a matter of "filling in the gaps"!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

"l'office des heirers avec les gages conformez?? ... l'office .." - 2nd line

"conferez"? but I think there are too many letters
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

In Vikki's excerpt I think the first line reads in Latin
                      Ista billa est concessa per Regem
                      which would translate as
                      This bill was granted by the king.

I don't do Old French, but I might be able to pick out some more Latin.

Will pm my email addy to Vikki

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
                        In Vikki's excerpt I think the first line reads in Latin
                        Ista billa est concessa per Regem
                        which would translate as
                        This bill was granted by the king.

I don't do Old French, but I might be able to pick out some more Latin.

Will pm my email addy to Vikki
                        At least I would, but the system won't let me.

Sorted myself out now. Hope Vikki will get my PM
                        Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 07-07-08, 17:12.

Comment

Thanks Roger, I got your PM - emailing it now
                          Vikki -

Comment

It's interesting when you can see the s appearing, where now there's only a circumflex or other accent. "mesme" for "même" and so on.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                              It's interesting when you can see the s appearing, where now there's only a circumflex or other accent. "mesme" for "même" and so on.

Christine
                              Yes, also that you can often guess the sense of modern French words starting with é by substituting an s, such as étude and école for study and school, though they sound completely different when spoken.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X