Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private baptism question

Hi
    I know that sometimes when a baby was not expected to live it was privately baptised and then if it survived was received into church at a later date.

I have found a couple who had 9 children between 1795 & 1813 who were all privately baptised. The first 5 were all received into church on the same day, 8 years after the birth of the 1st child. The later children were received into church a few weeks or months after their birth.

I am curious to know of any other reasons for private baptisms. The father was a woolcomber when he married and a hosier by 1813.
    Many thanks
    Moggie

I seem to remember someone saying that people had batches of children baptised in order to qualify for parish relief.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Moggie

Possibly they ASSUMED that the private baptism was the real thing. Maybe a later, enthusiastic Vicar pointed out that it wasn't and rounded them up for the proper job.

As UJ says, the most likely reason is so that they could qualify for parish relief, or maybe parish settlement.

OC

Comment

Hi John
        I have often come across large numbers of children from the same family being baptised on the same day and thought perhaps the church fees were reduced for a baptism "en masse" but never thought about parent's claiming parish relief needing proof of children's baptisms.

Hi O C
        I don't know if this is relevant but the first 5 children were not privately baptised in the parish where they were later received into church.
        Moggie

Comment

I have seen parish registers where virtually every child was privately baptised - which suggests that possibly there wasn't a resident clergyman.

Were the private baptisms recorded at the time, or simply noted when the children were admitted into the church? if the former, then that would be an acknowledgement that the parish would be responsible, unless the father gained a different settlement while they were children.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Have just looked at my notes and 4 and not 5 of the earlier children were baptised in another parish to that where they were received into church. I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion about private baptisms re these 4
            children because of the receiving into church entry.
            Briefly
            William bap 1797 Framlingham Sfk from Familyhistoryonline not stated as private.
            Sarah bap 1799 details as above
            Louisa bap 1800 details as above.
            The family moved to Wickham Market Sfk between 1800 & 1802
            John privately bap 1802 Wickham Market

1803 Henry (still looking for his bap record) William,Sarah,Louisa and John received into church at Wickham Market

Later children all privately bap Wickham Market and r i c shortly afterwards.

I hope the above makes sense
            Moggie

Comment

Moggie

I would look for a Settlement Order or examination for around 1803.

Some of my earlier relatives were not above having their children baptised twice or even three times, in order to secure settlement in different parishes. No one checked, obviously!

OC

Comment

I've also found quite a few late baptisms when the child is around 5 and have conjectured that maybe it was so they could attend a school run by the church.

The one baptism that does puzzle me is my gt x 3 grandmother Hannah Crossley Matthews. She was baptised on the same day as her infant son Emmets (my gt x 2 grandfather), but she had been married in the church and already had a son who'd been baptised there a year or so earlier.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Many thanks for all the ideas that have been suggested. I think the way forward is to look for settlement examinations and or removal orders for this family which might help me find out where they originally came from.
                  Best wishes
                  Moggie

Comment

Working...
                  X