Help please- I'm tearing my hair out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please- I'm tearing my hair out

Trying to prove or disprove a link with a guy in Australia.

OH has Wilner / Wilnor / Willner ancestors.

This chap in Oz has John Lang married Anna Wilner. He doesn't know when can't find the details to order the cert, neither can I.

I know nothing about John Lang, don't think he knows much. There is his tree on Ancestry but I think it's all info from other folks.

I'm not sharing any info until I prove a link

I have Hannah (he has Anna) born 1837 Elmhurst, Lichfield, Staffs. Parents John Wilner and Elizabeth nee Moore.
    1841 census HO107; Piece 975; Folio: 7; Page: 8

1851 and 1861 Hannah is a servant

1851 in Longton, Stoke on Trent HO107; Piece: 2007; Folio: 329; Page: 15

1861 in Walsall, Staffs RG9; Piece: 2013; Folio: 41; Page: 31

There after I am stuck.

Anna Wilner and John Lang had a son John Leslie Lang born in Lancashire in 1873 (apparently) Can't find that either.

Ahhhhhhhh HELP PLEASE!!
    Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 07-07-08, 13:08.

FreeBMD doesn't have a John Leslie anybody born in Lancashire in either 1873 or 1874. I suppose we need to find Anna in 1871.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
      FreeBMD doesn't have a John Leslie anybody born in Lancashire in either 1873 or 1874. I suppose we need to find Anna in 1871.
      This is the problem Kate

Doesn't help that the guy I am conversing with is in Australia and probably in bed now, so can't answer any queries.

Comment

Looking at the various entries in Ancestry trees, it has John Leslie Lang as dying either 1916 Northam, Western Australia or 1955. The John Lang who is listed on the WA online indexes as dying 1916 Northam doesn't have a middle name. So if that's him, then maybe he didn't actually have Leslie as a middle name?
        KiteRunner

Comment

And looking at the marriage entry on WA online indexes which matches the ancestry tree entries, it lists John Leslie Landlick Lang marrying Louisa Helena Ellen Giere in 1899 in Geraldton. I know this doesn't really help!
          KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, but thats the right person.

I have just emailed him but don't expect a reply for a while. I have asked when the Lang family emigrated and if he has John Leslie Lang's birth cert.

Comment

One of the ancestry trees shows that second middle name as Lundbeck, and that one has his mother's name as Anna Schroderwilner. I wonder if the family weren't from England at all, but from Germany or Scandinavia?
              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                One of the ancestry trees shows that second middle name as Lundbeck, and that one has his mother's name as Anna Schroderwilner. I wonder if the family weren't from England at all, but from Germany or Scandinavia?

I don't know Kate

I think that tree on Ancestry is a lot of assumptions and copied info. At the moment I haven't linked it to my tree at all. I have John Wilner and Margaret Kelcher but don't have a son John for them. Margo (FTF member)is going to Stafford tomorrow to try and find the baptism of John Wilner 1808 to see if its one of mine.
                It's possible, as the name Margaret does appear a few times in the decendents of John and Elizabeth nee Moore.

If he hasn't got John Leslie Langs birth cert then??

But, he says that his parents names are on his marriage cert. John Lang and Anna Wilner. Never seen an Australian marriage cert.

Comment

Here are some links from Google that might be of interest:
                  RootsWeb: AUS-VIC-L Re: [AUS-VIC] GIESE & HENNESSY
                  RootsWeb: NEW-ZEALAND-L Re: [NZ] Online access to bmd's?
                  Genpals
                  (this one - above - gives info about the marriage certificate!)
                  Lang - Liverpool to Australia - Lang - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.co.uk
                  http://genforum.com/cgi-bin/print.cgi?giese::27.html
                  KiteRunner

Comment

I've got to go and fetch my daughter from school in a minute, but the info about the marriage cert on one of those links I posted says it is hard to read and says he was born in Liverpool. I wonder if it could be Liverpool in Australia rather than Liverpool, England? Although I can't see his birth on the NSW indexes either. Also, there are some entries for Louisa Elena Lang and similar names on the Ancestry Australian Electoral Rolls which you might find worth a look (there are too many John Lang entries).
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Kate

I reckon I'm banging my head on a brick wall here.

One of those boards says this:

mrd anna wilner in beechworth AUSTRALIA

The chap that posted this is the same one I am corresponding with. He didn't even mention that they married in Australia.

How the heck does he know that Anna Wilner is the same one as I have born in 1837 in Staffordshire? He doesn't, he has used the IGI.

I feel another email to Oz coming on.

Asking him things is like pulling teeth.

Comment

I've just emailed him and asked what proof he has that Anna Wilner who married John Lang is the same one who was born in Staffordshire in 1837 to John Wilner and Elizabeth Moore.

If there is no positive link and then no further link to my Wilners then I'm not persuing this.

Thanks for your help.
                        Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 07-07-08, 14:25.

Comment

My guess is that it is a different Anna Wilner. I came up with a theory on the way to school which may be rubbish, but... looking at the names on the marriage, John Leslie Landlick Lang and Louisa Helena Ellen Giese (or whatever) I wonder whether their original names were German or Scandinavian - something like Johann Landlick Lang and Luisa Elena Giese - and they kind of Anglicised them? So that Leslie was the Anglicised version of Landlick, and Ellen was the Anglicised version of Elena?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

You could be right Kate.

I'll see what his reply to my email is later. His work does seem to be a lot of guess work. I'm so glad i haven't given him anything concrete of mine.

Mind you, I have been working on the John Wilner and Elizabeth Moore line, if Margo finds a link tomorrow I have a lot to work at.

Asking this bloke questions was like pulling hens teeth

Comment

His excuse will be that Wilner is not a very common name. No it isn't but it does get mistranscribed as Milner which is more common.

Comment

Working...
                              X