Where would I look for bastardy records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would I look for bastardy records

I have an illigitimate birth in 1861, born in westminster but mother from Lincolnshire as is the possible father.

Where would I look for the bastardy records and what information do they contain

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Have you tried the WIKI,...erm....Vikki? (Lol, sorry!)

In fact you will be very lucky indeed to find bastardy records as late as this. By this time, they were being dealt with in the magistrate's courts, and I have never managed to track one down in this period - although I may just have been unlucky, of course, I was told that the courts routinely destroyed them two years after the date of the final payment.

OC

Comment

Great, so the chance of me finding any payments to the mother will be slim if not impossible.

EDIT - Just checked the Wiki, not looking good - Poop
      Last edited by vikki brace; 07-07-08, 12:14.
      Vikki -

Comment

Have you looked for a baptism? Sometimes the name of the reputed father was entered onto the register.

OC

Comment

If you have the possible father's name, then you could look to see if he left a will which might mention the child.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Going to check for a baptism at the LMA when i'm next there, he was born in Westminster so fingers crossed he was baptised there and not back in Lincolnshire as I am never going to get there!!!

The father is one of 2 men (although there is a chance it could have been their father!!!!)

Charles Frederick Swain b.1839 d.1898
            Richard Henry Swain b.1841 d.1895

I am leaning towards Richard as the son was called Henry Swain Dawson. Henry was not a Dawson family name.

I know i'm clutching at straws. ;)

Both men were farmers with in excess of 100 acres, and their father Charles who had been widowed in 1860 had over 800 acres, so I was hoping for at leat one will on TBA but no luck.:(
            Vikki -

Comment

What's TBA? I know I'm going to kick myself when you say it!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Woops - I hit the wrong key it should be TNA :o
                Vikki -

Comment

If they died in 1895 and 1898 then their wills wouldn't be on TNA - you would need to order them from York (details are in the Wiki). You could search the National Probate Calendar at a record office first to see if there is an entry.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

I'll look in at the probate office when I go to the LMA then, gives my eyes a break from the microfiche reader thingy
                    Vikki -

Comment

Oh, the National Probate Calendar at my local record office is on microfiche!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

fortunatly the LMA is 10 minutes from the Probate office in London and they have the huge bound books, so much nicer then staring at a screen
                        Vikki -

Comment

OC wrote an excellent article on Bastardy Bonds for the July issue of the magazine

Caroline's Family History Pages - Written Sources

;)

Comment

Working...
                          X