Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searchable indexes to Australian Police Gazettes (and other publications)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searchable indexes to Australian Police Gazettes (and other publications)

For anyone who hasn't come across it before, there's an interesting site with samples of numerous Australian publications. The samples often include all or part of the index to the publication, so you can decide whether it's worth buying the CD (very expensive), paying a visit to the archives (if you live in Oz), or looking for a researcher who can access the original volumes (if you live elsewhere).

The complete list of indexes and sample files is here:

Australian History - Free Indexes and Sample Files

You can click on the pdf link to the index of a specific publication to download it, and then search it.

To search the whole site at once, which is the most convenient way of using it, put your search term into Google followed by the words site:www*australian-history.com (replace asterisk with a dot).

This will bring up all occurrences of your search term in the indexes.

The publications are on sale from Archive CD Books - Rare books on CD-ROM
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-07-08, 01:14.

Mary......sometimes you can get them on ebay a bit cheaper. I've got a couple.

I do have a fairly good collection of local history books for Qld and northern NSW, if anyone wants something looked for.

Comment

I must remember to have a look at this when I get home and can store the bookmarks on my home computer! No point in putting it on at work - I can't be downloading things like that here.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, Libby, it was the NSW police gazettes I was mainly interested in at the moment - I don't suppose you have access to them?

Comment

No Mary....I have a couple of Qld Police Gazettes.

Let me have a think....I'm sure someone here has access.

Comment

Yes, Laurie does, but I don't like to keep asking her

Comment

Knew I'd "remember" who it was LOL.

Comment

Mary....pm me with details if you like. I'll keep my eyes open. I do have few books on New England if it's any of those families.

Just did a quick lookup for another thread here......the only person I found with correct name (was not the right person, so didn't post) died in Glen Innes and is buried at Wellingrove. There is NOTHING there, and yet so much history.

Comment

Working...
                X