Phantom witness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom witness!

My cousin has sent to me the marriage cert of her great x2 grandparents who married in Brompton, London, in 1868.

I'm having particular difficulty with this one

Who doesn't appear to exist on Ancestry or FreeBMD!

I think that it's a case of a hard of hearing vicar! Millicent has been spelt Millisent, there are cases on Ancestry & FreeBMD, but none that could be her. I've tried to think what the name could be, Lyndsay perhaps, but still haven't had much success!

Any ideas welcome

The surname looks like a variant on Lindsell - a very common surname in the Braintree area.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Typical, I go round in circles for over an hour, then make progress when I post...

I did a phonic search on the surname on FreeBMD and found a marriage in Poole in 1886 of a Millicent Lyndsall!

Off to look on the census returns now....

Comment

Thanks Phoenix, that's does look like a variation. It sounds like one of those names that gets either misspelt or mistranscibed... lovely :D

Comment

Found her 1881

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1195; Folio: 32; Page: 1; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341293.

It says she's a widow... interesting...

Comment

Drat, I thought I was doing too well. Can't find her in 1861 or 1871.

I wondering if she's the sister of the groom, Millicent Coombes, born c1837 Iwerne Dorset (who I can find in 1861), but just can't get the connection....

Comment

Surely it is the sister as there's a Millicent Potter in Manchester in 1891 who was born in Iwerne!

Her age is 7 years off and her death (same Q) is the same, but Iwerne is pretty small!

Comment

Her address in 1881 is most likely where British Homes Stores is now! lol (Sorry, bet you wanted to know that!!)

Comment

1861: Class: RG9; Piece: 82; Folio: 107; Page: 17; GSU roll: 542570.
                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

sorry - just read the thread properly and see that you had MIllicent Coombs in 1861 - it was MIllicent Lyndsall you wanted
                    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

That's it. Send for the men in white coats. This is driving me mad!!

1871:

I keep going back to cab master, William Lyndrell/Lyndsell living in St Marylebone (where Millicent was on the previous census). He's 66 and his "wife" is aged 30 and born in Hampshire (Yes, I know, that's not Dorset). The other minor detail is that she is called Fanny!

Of course, there's apparently no marriage and no death for William, nor is he showing up in 1851.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                        I think that it's a case of a hard of hearing vicar!
                        It looks as though she wrote her own name, though, doesn't it? It doesn't say "X the mark of" or at least not on the bit you've posted up?
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is a Milly Lindsell age 70 on the 1871 census, sister of a William Lindsell (age 77) in Wendens Ambo, Essex. Both unmarried and both born Wenden. Seems unlikely it would be her, though.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks everyone, just catching up with this after writing a long email to my cousin about her family history.

Merry - I've since discovered that she did marry William Potter in 1888 in Poole Dorset. In 1891 she was in Manchester Infirmary, where it looks like she died the same quarter.

I'll tell my cousin of her BHS connection!! :D

I'll have a look at that cab driver, William, but why she would change her name to Fanny ....

Kite - I was thinking when I saw the certificate that as it was the original then it would be the person's signatures, but looking at it closer it looks like the same hand.

Now, what I need to find out is whether Millicent Coombes born c1836 Iwerne, Dorset is the same person as Millisent Lyndsell/Potter born c1842 Iwerne Dorset, and therefore the groom's sister. Incidently, they called their only daughter Millicent, which suggests to me that she is, but have yet to confirm it!!

Don't worry Merry the men in white coats will be coming after me too, as I've spent the day banging my head against two very large genealogical brick walls :D

Comment

Thanks Kite, too old I'm afraid ....

Comment

Sorry, I didn't think she could be Millicent Coombes, I just wondered if she could be the witness as I read the beginning of the thread and went off to look for her before reading the stuff in between!
                                KiteRunner

Comment

No worries Kite, this one's had me confused enough times too

Comment

Working...
                                  X