obtaining a copy of a will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obtaining a copy of a will

Have just found a possible Will for my 3xGreat Grandfather at Winchester Records office online site. Question is, the way I read it, I can order online by downloading the application form giving the Ref. number etc. for what I understand to be the cost of £3.50. Would this be about the right price?? Has anyone ordered from Winchester records office using their online services before? Seem to good to be true having never found any Wills for my rellies before.

Heres hoping......Lesley

Hi Lesley,

I ordered a will last year from Hampshire Record Office so I'm guessing it is the same thing. You pay the £3.50 and you view the will on the internet. If you save it then you can print it off so that you have a paper copy. They don't actually send you a photocopy of the will.

It might have changed now though, i'm not sure!
    Joanna

Comment

Hi Joanna, Thanks for that info. It just seems so cheap at £3.50 I wasn't sure I was reading the page right!! Viewing via the internet is fine by me, as you say, can print it off. Am on a roll now.....have just found another 'possible' as well, Thanks again for your reply
      Lesley

Comment

I get wills from Cheshire Wills online - the wills aren't actually on line, just indexed.

I download a form which has all the details printed on it and send it off. It is £3.50, so I reckon that is a standard sort of charge. I have had wills which are merely a quarter of a page long - £3.50, or in one case, 13 pages of A2, also £3.50!

OC

Comment

Hi OC, Had a proper look at the site and the download is an order form to fill in and post off. The index numbers are online like you said. Can't beleive they are only £3.50 each. My first Wills........am so excited.....hope they are the right ones. Am trying to prove that 3xGreat Grandfather was married twice, am hoping the will of the wife who died after him will throw some light on this. Hope I get 13 pages for £3.50 like you did!!!!!!!!!

Lesley

Comment

I've only ever bought wills from TNA (downloaded) or Lancashire RO.
            The TNA ones have all been in the same script and I've found them very hard to read,
            Tha Lancs ones (I think) are the original wills photocopied. There are an odd size,wider than A3 paper, so they send it in bits. They have had the signatures and seals, though, so I love them.
            I've now got the signatures and seals of OH's 5 and 7 x great grandfathers.

Comment

Lesley

My best will ever, gave me 35 names, including daughters' husbands and all the grandchildren!

My worst will ever, was three lines and said

"I leave everything to Mary Hammond in payment for her care"

Mary Hammond was his flaming neighbour!

OC

Comment

OC

Will let you know when I have received the Will if I have beaten your 35 names! 3xG.grandfather had 8 children, so may be in with a chance!!! Knowing my luck I will get one like your Mary Hammond one!!!
                Lesley

Comment

Libby

Oh Heck. Never occured to me that I wouldn't be able to read the Wills. One is 1847 and the other is 1863!!

Standby to help translate if it comes in the original script

Lesley

Comment

The trick is not to panic when you get it and can't read a word! After looking at it for a while you will be able to read some words and it gradually comes if you write it out and keep filling in the blanks.

Failing that there are several people on here who are VERY good at reading them! (not me!)

Anne

Comment

Anne
                      Promise I won't panic......not until I receive them and find I can't read them! I know we are amongst some 'experts' on here. Trouble is, I can't put anything on here other than a posting!! Will just hope that I don't need assistance.

Lesley

Comment

Lesley, if you need help then just shout - you will get some people offering and they will let you email the document to them to look at.

By the way, the best will I ever got in terms of numbers of names mentioned had about 100, but then you get some which just say "all my children who shall be living at the time of my decease" which doesn't help at all!
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Lesley...like the others have said, don't panic. Someone will help.

I found it easier to read after I'd enlarged the TNA copies to A3.

My 1814 will has about 50 people mentioned including all the relationships, some addresses, even the addresses of the executors. I think it is the person's own writing as it matches the signature, but it reads more like it was written by a solicitor charging by the word!!!LOL.

Comment

'Morning' Kiterunner and Libby.
                            I hope I have as much luck with my wills as you both have. I must admit my skills at 'reading' old handwriting is improving with time. Even done a short course at the local library on the subject!! Have been looking for my 2xGreatgrandmother for ages and only yesterday did I find that by enlarging the 1841 Census the child transcribed as Zinnie was in fact the Emma I was looking for!!! Miss Marple skills are certainly needed with this hobby

Lesley

Comment

I think I may not be able to do this BUT is it possible to get copies of wills of people who died from say 1930 to 1975?

If I know where and when they died - where would/could I go to apply, apart from the National Archives?

I ask because I am 99.9% sure that I could be my grandmother's only grandaughter. Unless she had more children following her second marriage aged 34. But any will would show me if that was the case... She lived for some years, and died in Chiswick.

Comment

Wills which have gone to probate are public documents and anyone can get a copy. You can find annual calendars of all wills from 1858 but unfortunately not online.

The calendars can be found at most county archives - usually on microfiche - but here in Carlisle we have the original books. Huge and dusty they are too!!

Once you have discovered if there is a will (or administration when no will was made) you can get a copy from York (and other places I believe) Look here at the wiki to find out Wills and Probate - Family Tree Forum

However, although you may be one of your grandmother's only relatives you might not be mentioned at all :(

Anne

Comment

You can apply to York and they will do the search for you - but if they find no will you still have to pay. Details are in the Wiki under "wills and probate".
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                    You can apply to York and they will do the search for you - but if they find no will you still have to pay. Details are in the Wiki under "wills and probate".
                                    KiteRunner and Anne,
                                    Thank you so much for that information - I'll check out the Wicki straight away...

Comment

Working...
                                    X