Lost family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost family

Searching for John Hales his wife Mary Ann nee Evans, and 4 of their children.
    I have all the information from the 1881 / 1891 census.
    My problem is I can find no marriage for John and Mary, she calls herself Maria on the 1881 census and on the 1901 ( if it is her ) she is Ann A Stagg but again no marriage is apparent.

Firstly John Hales known as Jack b Middlesex (according to 1881 c)1850. He was a tinplate worker. John died in 1890 I know this to be true as nan told me he died when she was 2yrs. I have a death c for a John Hales tinplate worker who d in Lambeth Work House Hospital, Lambeth Walk in July 1890 aged 44yrs so this (if its him ) puts him as b 1846ish.

Mary Ann Evans on all the children's b/c she is Mary Ann Hales formerly Evans. Again 1881 c says b Middlesex but on the1891 it says b St Martins Middlesex. On the 1901 c I think its her she's with a A E Stagg and to of her children Frederick and Eliza they are registered as step children.

The children:-John Walter b 22/4/1877 at 1 Short Street Newington Surrey.

Frederick James 17/9/1879 at rural cottage Linford Street Battersea Surrey.

James Joseph b 22/12/1881 at 28 Townsend Street Southwark Surrey
    These three boys appear in the 1891 census at Lambeth New School Norwood . James I think appears on the 1901 c as part of crew on the Boscowen at Portland in Dorset, that's the last I can find of any of the boys that I'm sure of.

Caroline Elizabeth b 17/4/1884 at 28 Townsend Street Southwark Surrey.

Emma Eliza b 19/11/1888 at 8 Elsted Street Walworth Surrey.
    This was my nan and she was fostered out to a family I think by the name of Dunn. A Nellie Dunn was registered at the same time as my nan and a Albert E Dunn is a witness at her marriage, a family member seemed to think that the Dunn's were related to the Hales in some way.

Lastly Eliza she was b after her father's death and living at 31 Lidford Street Battersea in 1891, She went on to Marry a William Rance.

So who does Mary know in Battersea that live in Linford/ Lidford Street? her second and sixth children being born there are they the same address? What happened to them all but mostly who were John and Mary and where did they come from?
    Hope someone can help Regards Willow

Hello Willow.

Well I've had a look, but I'm afraid I can't find any more than you already have.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Firstly - welcome to the Forum!

For the sake of anyone looking at this...
      1881: RG11; Piece: 524; Folio: 35; Page: 18
      1891: RG12; Piece: 426; Folio 117; Page 3

Principal surnames: HALES, EVANS, STAGG

That way, anyone looking in can spot some of the info straight away, and can have a look at the census records to which you refer.

I'm about to have a look at 1901 - but may have to dash off for Evensong.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is this your Mary Ann EVANS?

Birth: 23 AUG 1855
        Christening: 11 FEB 1856 Saint Martin In The Fields, Westminster, London
        Father: JOSEPH EVANS
        Mother: ELIZABETH
        Batch: C001453

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sadly, I couldn't find a corresponding marriage on the IGI.

Christine

Comment

I have seen this entry and wondered if or maybe, but without the marriage its like being up a creek without a paddle. I think M/A was not very good about dates and registrations I cannot find Eliza's birth date or registration I only have her on 1891/1901 census plus her marriage, thank you for trying Regards Jean

Comment

If the children are atthe Norwood school, then you should be able to find details of their admission at London Metropolitan Archives. (It is a school associated with Lambeth Workhouse) There is probably a "rough settlement" entry giving the reasons why they end up there. This may link them with other family members. Also the school records will tell you where they went when they left school.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

NB the rough settlement for a friend's ancestor gave precise details of a marriage we had been unable to find - it took place in a different county, after the births of at least two children.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                X