Ada Rollinson birth reg - can anyone help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ada Rollinson birth reg - can anyone help please

I am searching for the birth registration for Ada Elleanor Edith Rollinson That is the name on both of her Marriage certificates! I have the following information from these registrations ...

1st marriage JAN 1908 Rotherham to James Rathbone. Her age 21, father William Rollinson (deceased) Iron Puddler (iron worker)

2nd marriage JUNE 1920 Rotherham to Rowland Earnshaw. Aged 30 Father's details as 1st cert. occupation Iron worker

I think I have found her and her family on the census 1901 RG13/2762 pg34, only because I matched William Rollinson being an Iron Worker with a daughter Ada!

I just cannot find a birth registration that fits Ada Elleanor Edith. Also not able to find family on Census 1891, assuming she was born before then, which she should have been according to age on 1st marriage cert but have to bear in mind the age given on the 2 Marriage Certificate doesn't tally with the first. I have been told that she was born in the Walsall area.

Details of family on Census 1901 - William Rollinson 42 Harriet 39 both from Wednesbury, Staffs.
    Ada 10yrs West Bromwich

Siblings
    George H 10 yrs Warrington
    Florence M 9 "
    Sarham (i think that could be Sarah Ann!) 6 West Bromwich
    Francis 2 Wednesbury
    Eva 3months "

Some help would be very much appreciated please
    Thank you,
    Glenda

Have you been able to find the other children in 1901 in the birth indexes?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Only Eva, that's assuming I have the correct family in the first place! :-/
      Glenda

Comment

I wondered if it was this birth:

Births Dec 1889
        Rollinson Female Dudley 6c 119

but there's a matching death that rules it out.

These seem to be the only other possibilities in Staffs:

Births Mar 1882
        Rollinson Ada W. Bromwich 6b 810
        Births Jun 1884
        Rollinson Ada Julia Dudley 6c 110
        Births Dec 1894
        Rollinson Ada Walsall 6b 784

The last one would only have been 14 at the time of the first marriage.
        Maybe it's the first one, who reduced her age a bit because her husband was younger?

Comment

On the second marriage certificate, is she described as Ada Rathbone formerly Rollinson?

Comment

Yes, she is Ada Elleanor Edith Rathbone on the second marriage certificate! She is a widow. Think the spelling of Elleanor is rather out of the ordinary too!
            Glenda

Comment

These are the William Rollasons on findmypast with occupation Iron*

Surname, forename, year/age, Reg District living, County

ROLISON, William 1839 52 M Cockermouth Cumberland
              ROLLASON, William 1848 43 M Wolverhampton Staffordshire
              ROLLASON, William 1860 31 M Birmingham Warwickshire
              ROLLERSON, William 1859 32 M Bolton Lancashire

Comment

This looks like the marriage of the William and Harriet you found in 1901:

Marriages Sep 1880
                BATES Maria W.Bromwich 6b 901
                Dunn Harriet W. Bromwich 6b 901
                Perrins Enoch W. Bromwich 6b 901
                Rolinson William W. Bromwich 6b 901

so the "lodger" was probably Harriet's brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  These are the William Rollasons on findmypast with occupation Iron*
                  Unfortunately there are plenty of occupations to do with the iron industry that don't actually include the word "iron". The William that belgiumbird found in 1901 was a puddler.

Comment

Iron Puddler - which means he was a processor for converting iron into wrought iron by heating with ferric oxide on a furnace to oxidize the carbon
                    Glenda

Comment

Here are William and Harriet in lodgings in 1881:

Class: RG11; Piece: 2866; Folio: 78

William's described as an ironworker.

Comment

Sorry I'm taking so long to reply to you all but I am trying to find all the information you are giving me LOL
                        Glenda

Comment

Ada may have been registered with a different set of names at birth, or maybe her surname isn't really Rollinson and William is really her stepfather.

Any clues as to the witnesses on either marriage cert?
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, I was about to ask that.

I've also had a look in the Rotherham area, but I can't see a suitable family.

I assume Ada was described as a spinster on her first marriage cert?

Comment

Unfortunately not, they are Agnes and Jacob Makin from the first Marr.Cert and on the second Hubert W Harrison and Lynes, christian name unreadable!
                              Glenda

Comment

Yep, Spinster!
                                Glenda

Comment

Can you give us the ages and fathers' names of the two husbands, so we can check where they were living in case Ada was living nearby?

Comment

Can't see Jacob or Agnes on the censuses, but Hubert was probably a professional witness - his father was Superintendent Registrar.

Class: RG13; Piece: 4392; Folio: 63

Comment

1st - James is 21, Father is Charles Rathbone Occupation Shingler (same occupation as Groom) Address 28 Clough Rd, Rotherham Ada lived at 22

2nd - Rowland Earnshaw was 28 Ex Army driver, his father William Earnshaw Painter. Rotherham

Have just noticed something I hadn't seen before, Ada Elleanor Edith's name in the first marriage certficate appears to have brackets around it. I first thought it was a squiggle but it's definitely brackets!
                                      Glenda

Comment

Now i'm embarrassed - They all have brackets ROFL, but there is a squiggle below her name, can't make it out though, part of another letter!

I had the page enlarged around her name and hadn't notice the bracket covered both names - Red faced Glenda
                                        Glenda

Comment

Working...
                                        X