Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone see this in the papers a while ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone see this in the papers a while ago?

My attendance is a bit sporadic these days as I am on my hols, but I can't remember anyone else bringing this up -- I saved the cutting from a while back.
    From The (London) Evening Standard Wed 18th June
    ''A book listing the names of 68,596 people who died of the plague in London in 1665 has fetched £12,775 at Christies in New York ....The register. which provides a vivid record of the Great Plague of London, was bought by a private collector.''
    I bet there are a lot of us who would give their eye teeth for a peek at that
    Janexxx
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Hallo Jane

Not sure what this book is or how it was compiled, but there were "lists of mortality" produced in London. I don't think they gave names, just numbers dead of various causes.

I suppose this book must have been based on burial registers.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That's about 20p per name....what a bargain!

OC

Comment

Googling has revealed title of book as "London's Dreadful Visitation" and there appears to be a copy at the Guildhall Library, London, closed access.

Copies Main Catalogue
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        London's dreadful visitation : or, A collection of all the bills of mortalit. - [U.K.] : [s.n.], 18. - t3297035
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Copies at this location: 1
        Shelfmark: Closed Access AN 13.5.10
        Barcode Loan Type Date Reserves Notes
        85657972 REFERENCE Not on loan 0 Note: Proof of identity required

Place reservation Locations list References List Title details
        Last edited by Little Nell; 05-07-08, 23:11.

Comment

That was it, Nell. I guess they won't be lending that out in a hurry, then if it's worth that much money!
          To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

But you'd be surprised that some fairly rare or high value books are sometimes released on an inter-library loan. It's always worth trying.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The book that went at auction may be a rare first edition or be valuable because it belonged to someone famous. But if its a proper book there should be other copies. The British Library, the Bodleian at Oxford, Camrbidge University Librrary should all be given deposit copies.

Comment

There is a copy for sale on ABE for £ 2077.55 .
                I would buy it and scan it to CD if I thought I could sell about 100 copies, but that kind of CD only attracts around 20 sales.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                X