Can you help find a place please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help find a place please?

I have been given a place of death from a contact as Flydo. I have found the death 3rd qtr 1940 registration district Braintree Essex on the genealogist. I have looked on genuki and can't find Flydo. Can anyone help please?
    Last edited by jean; 05-07-08, 11:48.
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Quite likely an error.

This is the list of places in Braintree registration district:

Braintree Registration District

Can't see anything that remotely resembles Flydo.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nothing comes up when googled "Flydo, Essex". Nothing on google maps or on Streetmap.co.uk either.

Maybe someone who lives in Essex might be able to see what this could be.
      Does your contact have the death cert? If so the sub-district and the actual address would help.

Comment

Thanks Nell. When I was first given it I thought it might have been Sligo but had no idea why he would have gone to Ireland. The date of death given to me is for Braintree which makes sense. maybe it was the name of the street he lived in I will have to get back to the contact.
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

There's a place called Rayne to the west of Braintree. That might look like Flydo if written carelessly (think of shape of the words).
          Last edited by Little Nell; 05-07-08, 12:16.

Comment

thanks Nell, will investigate that.
            Jean

Comment

Jean

Let me know the outcome. I am close to death with curiosity sometimes!

Comment

otherwise there is a FYLDE near blackpool
                Jess

Comment

Yes I thought of Flyde too Jess, but I think the Essex one is correct as just found wifes death in West Ham.
                  Will do Nell - by the way do I search newspapers for a suicide?
                  son William Frederick Dowsett committed suicide during WW1 years - nothing to do with the war.
                  Jean

Comment

Local newspapers will report on deaths and on inquests. The death cert should give the date of both the death and the inquest.

Sometimes they made a small para in a national newspaper, depending on how much news they have for that day.

Comment

not in Times Online.

Comment

Nell, just an update on Flydo/Rayne. Although I haven't place John in Rayne, I have discovered a lot with the family name there so think you are probably right. Will still keep hunting
                        Well Done and Thank you
                        Last edited by jean; 05-07-08, 21:32.
                        Jean

Comment

I am intrigue as I live 20 mins away from Braintree and I have just thought of all the places near by begining with F but not come up with any thing like you spelling.
                          Felsted, Ford End, Finchingfield, Fyfield, Fanners Green, Faulkbourne, Fairstead, Feering, these are the only ones so far that spring to mind.
                          GWEN

Comment

These are all the Essex locations I've listed on my site:
                            Fairstead | Farnham | Faulkbourne | Feering | Felsted | Finchingfield | Fingringhoe | Fobbing | Fordham | Foulness | Foxearth | Frating | Frinton | Fryerning | Fyfield

There's no mention of it on the Essex Record Office catalogue.

I've also scanned the Victorian Ordnance Survey map to see if the name is mentioned as locale in Braintree but still no luck.
                            Old-Maps - the online repository of historic maps - home page
                            Phil
                            historyhouse.co.uk
                            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Have heard back from contact and Braintree isn't correct. She is going to get death cert so we know precisely where it is ;)
                              Jean

Comment

Ha! So it could be Fylde after all!

Comment

Working...
                                X