Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion on a death cert please?

I have the death cert of who i think is my 2x gt grandmother

Dinah Sowter was born Jan 1799 in Bolehill Derbyshire, daughter of George Sowter and Dinah Simms

Married William Shipley in 1824 St Alkmund Derby

2 children, Sarah born 1827 and William born 1830, both baptised as adults in 1844

The death cert i have is for a Diana Shipley died 1838 aged 38, place of death is St Peters, a nurse is the informant

1841 census has the son William in St Peters workhouse and Sarah is with her grandfather George . Dont know where William the father is.

Questions,

1. could Dinah and Diana be the same person?

2, Could St peters on the cert refer to the workhouse where her son was?

I think i have the right cert for Dinah/Diana, but feel i would like the opinion of someome more experienced than i am.

Thank you for any help

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

The names could well mean the same person and I would say it's very likely that she was in St Peter's workhouse, they also served as hospitals.
    Gwynne

Comment

Thank you Gwynne, thats what i was thinking

Sylvia
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Hallo Sylvia

Yes, Dinah/Diana are likely the same people. The person registering the death probably didn't know her real name, it may have been recorded in the workhouse incorrectly in the first place (or indeed in the baptism register!). The tallying of ages also makes it highly probable that you have the right cert - be glad she wasn't called Mary Jones, lol!

St Peters on the death cert may just have referred to the parish in which she died. Earlier death certs are much less specific than later ones. Though of course, she could have died in the workhouse infirmary.

The workhouse records if they survive should be in the County Records Office.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you Nell, on googling i found that St Peters workhouse was in the church yard and had 11 rooms on the ground floor and 13 sleeping rooms.

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Comment

Cosy!

My gt gt grandfather was a beadle and vestry messenger in Richmond, Surrey. His address was Vestry House, the Old Burying Ground, Richmond.

The old burying ground is still there. Must have been a comfort to have a view of the graves!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Spooky, wonder if he saw any ghosts.

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Comment

Sylvia

If this is something you would like me to look for when I next go to the record office just put me a few details in an email.

I am going into Chesterfield this afternoon and I will call into the library, if nothing there, I will try the museum to check on the details for Narrow Lane/Broad Pavement for you
                Kathleen

Comment

Thank you Kathleen, will send an email tomorrow with some details, but i think i read somewhere that the records for that time were destroyed.

Sylvia
                  Sylvia

Comment

Working...
                  X