Interesting diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting diary

I have a family diary dated 1890 but I don't know who it belonged to.
    The writer (female) held an army and navy ticket with it's number. Are there any records of these anywhere?
    She also had a Haymarket ticket for life that cost £790!!
    I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to the Forum!

Wow, what a lovely find ... but of course, creates more questions than answers at present!

I regret I am unable to offer suggestions, but wish you the best of luck.
    Bridget

Comment

Thanks Bridget

Comment

What would an army and navy ticket be? Does it mean she held shares in the Army & Navy Stores? Or does it just mean she had an account with the store?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It looks as though the Army and Navy was one of the original co-ops. If you Google "Army and Navy Co-operative Stores" quite a few hits come up but I haven't seen anything that says where any records might be. One of the links says that it was formed in 1871.

It was taken over in 1976 by House of Fraser. It might be worth contacting them to see if they hold historical records or know what happened to them.

Jackie
          Jackie

Comment

Haymarket Theatre might know if records of seat-holders were kept, if they suvrived, or possibly the Theatre Museum (which I think is run by the V & A) might be able to help.

Any clues in the diary - names, dates, places? Have you got this lady's name to find her in 1891 census?
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Army and Navy

Thanks Night Owl - I have contacted University of Glasgow archives after your help.

Comment

No, clues really just a few names but tried looking for them , like a needle in a haystack I'm afraid. She appears to be quite well off. I can't decide on age though. Was having lessons at home, went on holiday, enjoyed theatre and belonged to the Primrose League

Comment

My gt grandfather was a member of the Primrose League, a Conservative party organisation, I think.

If she went to the Haymarket regularly, she must have lived within easy travelling distance of London.

The problem with diaries and letters is that they don't say "got a letter from Frank, my cousin, son of my aunt Emily who married Fred Bloggs" but things like
                  "postcard from sis" or "Mother's uncle called".

No help at all!

Comment

She definitely lived in London. She rode horses in Hyde and Battersea park

Comment

Why didn't she write her name and address at the front!!!!

Comment

lol! I've got a diary like that too......it drives me crazy, as I'm sure there must be a clue somewhere in it, but everytime I look there still isn't!! lol

Welcome to the site Angela, I hope you have better luck!

Comment

There are 3 initials on top of each other - could be anything!! Plus it is about 2 inches by 1 inch - don't know if there was a special name for this sort? and inside a little cardboard case.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome -already had some useful tips off here regarding dating photos!

Comment

Would you be able to scan and copy the initials on here?

Comment

I don't have a scanner anymore! but they are written in pencil and I don't think they would show up.
                                Eddie Wallis died 26th March 1890! if that's any help!!!!

Comment

What sort of age would young ladies be having French and German lessons and bible classes in 1890?

Comment

Re Eddie Wallis.....

There's this death:

Wallis Edward Snell 25 Portsea 2b 355

The Times online digital archive has his date of death as 25th though. He was the eldest son of Brigade Surgeon W B Wallis of Old Bank, Colchester. and he died at Anglesea Barracks Portsmouth.

This is the only Ed????? Wallis who was reg for death in Q1 or Q2 1890 who was not a young child. I somehow think the shortening of the name suggests an adult............

Comment

I'd say one day difference in the date of death is insignificant. If you were told someone died in the night, you probably wouldn't ask which side of midnight.

Edward Snell Wallis was born in Jamaica (1871 census) His mother was Frederica (b abt 1845 in the Bahamas) and we already know his father was WB.

I'm just adding stuff as I find it, in case some surname suddenly sounds familiar! lol

Comment

The father, William B Wallis was born in Ireland about 1830. He's in Colchester (house Old Bank) with his family (inc wife, Frederica) in 1891.

His middle name is Beale

Deaths Jun 1901
                                        Wallis William Beale 71 Colchester 4a 352

Comment

Working...
                                        X