Dawson/Swain Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawson/Swain Puzzle

Hope you all have your thinking caps on.

Henry Swain Dawson b.1861 (1st Qtr) Westminster, Middlesex - Mother Penelope Dawson (awaiting cert)

1861 - Not found
    1871 - Pupil at a school in Weybridge Surrey - RG10; Piece: 803; Folio: 35; Page: 12 (mother working in Surrey in 71)

Now I have not been able to find him after 1871, his GG Grandaughter says he dropped the Dawson and was known only as Swain(e) but not sure when!

This is what she found
    I can then find him on the 1891 Census as Henry Swaine living in Marple RG12; Piece: 2788; Folio 45; Page 5 and in the 1901 Census as Henry Swain living in Bredbury (he was a Railway Signalman), RG13; Piece: 3284; Folio: 87; Page: 25

he gives his place of Birth as Holbeach in Lincolnshire in 1891 which made me look for Penelope Dawson in Lincolnshire in 1861 and took me to Wrangle and the Swains and confirmed that Penelope was from Clenchwarton

Now I would love to find him in 61 and 81 to finish the puzzle

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

The trouble is that lots of bits of the 1861 are missing, so he might never be found on that one, Vikki.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

well I've had no luck either.

I did try and work back to get Penelopes parents to see if I could find him with them in 1861 and I *think* I've worked out where the Dawsons and the Swains meet - although this is all internet work so would need verifying properly.

Easiest way to explain is to start at the beginning rather than work in the genealogy direction:

Shadrac Sleight and Ann
      (possible marriage for Shadrac Sleight to Ann Smith on IGI)

among their many children:

Mary Sleight bp 19 Feb 1769 Toynton All Saints
      Lucy Sleight bp 1777 Toynton All Saints

Mary Sleight is mother of illegitimate child...

ANN JOHNSON SLIGHT bp 1807

who marries John Watson dawson 03 APR 1834 Leverton, Lincoln, England

on 1841 they are with Penelope Dawson c1837 Clenchwarton

Lucy Sleight

Antony Johnson marries Lucy Sleight 28 May 1807 Leverton

daur - Jane Johnson bp 16 Jun 1811 Leake Lincs

Jane Johnson marries Charles Swain 22 OCT 1832 Leverton, Lincoln, England

hope that all makes sense.

of course you may have this all already, or a different correct version. Big Brother was a bit boring though so I had to be doing something.
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

1861 census was taken on 7th April.
        Penelope Dawson was staying with her uncle Charles Swain in Wrangle and working as Housekeeper. RG9; Piece: 2332; Folio: 17; Page: 4;

Perhaps the Swain in Henry's name was after his great-uncle and not an indication of who his father was.

As census was taken after 1st q registration period, Henry would already have been born and was presumably farmed out to someone else while Penelope earned her (and his) bread.
        Last edited by Little Nell; 05-07-08, 11:33.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Looking at what Zoe found, it seems likely Penelope was daughter of Ann Johnson Sleight and John Watson Dawson, though 1841 doesn't give relationships.

Charles Swain was married to Ann's cousin Jane. (and I am suspicious that Ann's middle name was Johnson as was Ann's uncle Lucy - a pattern repeated when Penelope gave her uncle's middle name to her own son.)
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

looking at the census entry for the Swains, "uncle" Charles appears to be the one with money - he's farming over 1000 acres.

It's possible Swain was given as a middle name in hope that he'd remember his cousins child in his Will. I'd say it's definitely worth hunting for a Will in case the family are mentioned.
            Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thanks Nell and Zoe - Sorry I have been away last night and most of today.

I will try and work through your findings when my brain is working.

I did know that Ann Johnson Sleight was the mother of Penelope and that she married John Watson Dawson.

Penelopes grandfather on the Dawson side was also a wealthy land owner.

I have often wondered about how the Swains were related as Penelope is recorded as Neice on the 1861 census.
              Vikki -

Comment

Ok I have just started to get my head around this.

I was thinking how common was it to use uncles names?

Doesn't it sound more likely that Mary Sleight got friendly with one of her brother-in-laws male relatives so gave her daughter the middle name of Johnson.
                And the same with Penelope giving Henry his father surname as his middle name.

Off to look for some wills
                Vikki -

Comment

ooh not sure if there is a link, but my Sleights are from Lincolshire. around the Appleby area. Any link?
                  Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Vikki a bit off topic but did most of your swains come from Lincolnshire?
                    Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                      ooh not sure if there is a link, but my Sleights are from Lincolshire. around the Appleby area. Any link?
                      Hi Robyne

I don't know much about the Sleights at the moment, What I have so far is thanks to Zoe and Nell

Going from the IGI only at this stage.
                      Ann Johnson Sleight - Illigitimate daughter to Mary Sleight. Mary is possibly the daughter of Shadrac and Ann Sleight. All in Lincolnshire

Does Shadrac ring any bells?
                      Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by jennie View Post
                        Vikki a bit off topic but did most of your swains come from Lincolnshire?
                        Hi Jen

Yes it looks like it, But I only have 2 generations, in Leverton and Wrangle
                        Vikki -

Comment

not at the moment, although i cant get back very far with my Sleights either at the moment. will keep an eye out for him
                          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

That isn't to far up the road from where mine are if you find any around Boston area then give me a shout as that is where mine are from and Swineshead.
                            Jen

Comment

when i've put the little one to bed, i'll have more of a look

Hve you got you Swain gedcom uploaded?
                              Vikki -

Comment

I have got some of it on here Vikki i really need to sort my tree out and get it uploaded again.
                                Jen

Comment

Working...
                                X