Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birth index what does this mean

Hi
    not come across this before in the birth indexes the part underlined can anyone tell what it means
    Albert Heyes, 1912, J/F/M quarter, St Helens, MMN Cuncliffe, 10 F see S/51
    GWEN

I would imagine it means see September 1951. An amendment to the original certificate.

OR - it could mean see the registrar's correction number 51 in 1912!

OC

Comment

If you look at Q3 1951 you will see the registration there too. So his birth was registered or re-registered in 1951 but he was born in 1912.

Comment

Thanks for that will I have trouble ordering the cert?
        GWEN

Comment

I think you would be best to order it as 1951.

Comment

Thanks Merry
            just wondering why he was registered in 1951
            GWEN

Comment

I don't know. I looked to see if he was originally registered under Cunliffe, but doesn't seem to be. Maybe he just wasn't registered at all in 1912.

Comment

Gwen

I don't think it matters which version you order, you will only get the most recent cert.

It may be something as simple as a spelling mistake on his original cert which wasn't picked up at the time, but which annoyed him immensely when he was 39!

OC

Comment

Thanks Merry and old Crone
                  Will order the cert and see what happens
                  GWEN

Comment

Let us know when it comes Gwen

Comment

Will do Merry, just hope it is the right one I want going to ask them to check a few things to make sure.
                      thanks to you all
                      GWEN

Comment

My great-grandfather born and registered 1862 had a correction done to the birthplace on his birth cert in 1918 but there is nothing in the index about it - the correction was just done to the certificate in its original place. This sounds more like a reregistration or never registered in 1912 only in 1951.
                        Last edited by KiteRunner; 04-07-08, 14:57.
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ooh, now I've had a look, I think I've figured it out! St Helens was not a district in 1912 - it would have come under Prescot district. And there was an Albert H Cunliffe birth registered in Prescot district Mar 1912, MMN Cunliffe. So I bet the H stood for Heyes, and his parents got married some times after he was born. There may be something marked on that Cunliffe registration but I haven't got time to check the image just now as I have to go and pick up my daughter from school. But I bet that's what happened.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Well done, Kate! I reckon you are right.

EDIT - perhaps a little more complicated though - I found these on Lancsbmd

Albert H Cunliffe 1912 St Helens SH/318/67
                            Albert C Hayes 1912 St Helens SH/318/100

Looks as if he was registered as Cunliffe first, then she (or someone) changed their mind and registered him as Hayes. Unless these two entries are cross indexing, although I would expect them to have the same reference number.

OC
                            Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 04-07-08, 15:15.

Comment

i just had a look at the 1912 registration and it is written in ink at the bottom of a page of printed names it looks like it was put in later
                              so possible that albert wasnt registered in 1912, so maybe in later life he needed a birth certificate and there wasnt one for him,
                              ie needed it for a passport or to join the forces,

just a wild guess here,

Comment

Well done Kite! I hadn't noticed St Helens didn't exist in 1912., so was looking in the wrong district.

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                Well done, Kate! I reckon you are right.

EDIT - perhaps a little more complicated though - I found these on Lancsbmd

Albert H Cunliffe 1912 St Helens SH/318/67
                                Albert C Hayes 1912 St Helens SH/318/100

Looks as if he was registered as Cunliffe first, then she (or someone) changed their mind and registered him as Hayes. Unless these two entries are cross indexing, although I would expect them to have the same reference number.

OC
                                OC, won't the second of those records from Lancs BMD refer to the 1950's re-registration?

Comment

Gwen, Unless you already have his marriage cert you will need the birth cert as there are two Heyes Cunliffe marriages in Prescot - the more likely one in 1912 and another in 1918. There are some others in different areas too! I would have thought it was a fairly unlikely name pairing, but obviously not!

Comment

I have the marriage cert it arrived today so I know the name of his father (mind you beginging to wonder!!) so can ask the GRO to check I am applying for the right one.
                                    I am confused now which one do I apply for the one reg as Cunliffe or Heyes I suspect Heyes as it will give the fathers name.
                                    I am doing this research for a family member and I always find it harder when it is not your own family.
                                    GWEN

Comment

Merry the marriage you found in prescot is one of the mens name Thomas?
                                      GWEN

Comment

Merry you are a star found the marriage you are talking about and his name is Thomas. I am having a bad day had two marr/Certs arrive today and thought I would get on with this family and got no where really but now I have thanks
                                        Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 04-07-08, 15:45.
                                        GWEN

Comment

Working...
                                        X