No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what a war chevron is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what a war chevron is?

I am researching my father's war service in the Royal Naval Patrol Service. In 1944 his 'linen' says "1942 War chevron awarded". Has anyone else come across this and do you know what it was for and how it was worn?

Shirley

I had a google but couldn't find anything. I'm guessing it would just be the traditional V shape sewn onto a sleeve.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Is it one of those good conduct 'V' thingies ?

yes it is .... can't find a naval one but there are pics of air force and army ones if you google
      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 03-07-08, 21:25.
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I can only think it was a Good Conduct award - each chevron being awarded for 3 years up to a maximum of 3 chevrons (known as a 3 badgeman) - so perhaps he'd done 3 years War Service.

Below is a recent award which shows the chevrons I'm talking about. One chap has 2 on his arm and is receiving his third.

News : HMS Astute : Future Submarines : Submarine Service : Operations and Support : Royal Navy

Ranks, Badges and Pay in the Royal Navy in World War 2

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

He certainly hadn't done three years at the time of the award.
          He was awarded his first (and only) good conduct stripe in 1945 - he was demobbed in 1946. A gentleman in the RNPSA museum told my husband today that the "1942 War Chevron" was a very small badge worn "upside down" on the lower part of the sleeve, just above the silver minesweeper badge. He was not able to say what were the conditions of the award and I have been unable to find anything about it so far. I shall keep searching though.
          Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirley
            Think you need Don .... it certainly sounds puzzling

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Found this website which may be of help

Untitled Document

Linda
              LindaG

Comment

Thanks Lindag. I'm sure my father's must have been the WW2 equivalent.

Comment

It maybe a French word, the only Chevrons that come to mind are the 'markings' in the French roads (like an upsidedown V shape) - to keep how ever many chevrons from the vehicle in front.
                  Kathleen

Comment

He wasn't hurt/wounded at all was he?

Or perhaps a survivor of a minesweeper (they did seem to sink quite regularly) friend of mine managed it 3 times - life expectancy wasn't that good on minesweepers.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Dad was a cook on a minesweeper - the Ocean Toiler. I know it survived the war but I don't know about its history. I do believe that there may have been 'close ones' but I was too young to be told details. As far as I know Dad was never wounded.
                      I grew up thinking that wartime was the normal state of living!!!

Comment

Just a little nudge

Comment

Morning Shirley,

I'm afraid that I can not really help you on this one as I am more into army research than navy, but saying that I have had a whizz around the 'net and have found that the Ocean Toiler was an armed admiralty drifter and was based at Sheerness from at least the September 1940, it was still based there in 1942 and was possibly returned to its rightful owners in 1946. As for the Good Conduct Stripe, these were awarded for long service & good conduct and were worn on the upper left arm only. Three stripes denoted at least thirteen years service, two stripes denoted at least eight years and one stripe denoting at least five years service (although they could be given out after two and half years service).

don

Comment

Ok phoned the Royal Naval Museum at Portsmouth.

"Issued for each 12 months of service afloat or ashore during WW2 - (think he said ashore was in foreign parts but didn't jot it down) Also awarded in WW1 when first one was blue and the rest red.

WW2 - Red in colour and a maximum of 6 could be worn inverted - on right forearm - 1.25 inches wide.

There were also wound stripes awarded similar in size but worn horizontal.

Comment

Thanks very much - would have got around to that phone call eventually :o (My husband was the first Administrator of the Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth back in 1960s/1970s!!!)

The chevron was obviously for Dad's first year at sea on the Ocean Toiler.

Problem solved. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X