Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chelsea pensioners

hi all,
    does anyone know if there is a way to research chelsea pensioners online,at the minute it seems as though i am going to have to go to kew to find info ?
    see ya
    george

JavaScript Support Check

this is interesting

Comment

If the man was discharged to pension up to 1854, he will be name searchable on the National Archives catalogue and you will be able to apply for his records. After that, it means going to Kew or getting someone to go for you, I'm afraid.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Annswabey

Do you mean post 1854 or pre 1854?

Janet

Comment

I think it's pre 1854???? I know I've found a lot of army people discharged after 1800 listed in The Catalogue and I don't remember any being after 1854.

Comment

Pre 1854. Only a few missorts are indexed for later periods.
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

tO CHECK IF EARLY RECORDS SURVIVE, GO TO THE tna CATALOGUE,

Detecting your browser settings

type Surname in the top search box, and in the bottom box type WO97
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

At the risk of hijacking George's thread, please could sks tell me where to go from here? I have got as far as this:

Detecting your browser settings my ancestor was an out pensioner in 1864. I have his army number. Can't see what I'm supposed to be looking at on the page I have linked to. Can't find anywhere to search for his name or regiment or number or anything.

*Sobs. I hate A2A and TNA*
                Rose

Comment

You will only find him indexed by name on TNA catalogue if he was discharged to pension before 1854 (and his papers survive). If after that, it means a trip to Kew. You will have to know his regiment for this period to find his records.

Comment

Thanks Ann.

A trip to Kew one day then :D
                    Rose

Comment

hi all,
                      thank you for the replies they are very helpfull, i have checked out my fella and he was not there so he must be post 1854,
                      oh and thanks pheonix for including the ref no wo97, i must admit that the tna site is a bit of a puzzle to me at times
                      see ya and thanks again
                      george
                      just a thought -on the 1861 census my lad is down as "chelsea pensioner, private army" does the private army bit allude to being a chelsea pensioner, anyone know ?

Comment

are you sure the image says "private army"? I would have thought it most unlikely, Chelsea pensioners were from regular armies.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

lol you had me going back to check then nell lass, yes it does say private army,
                          it did make me think that's why i asked

Comment

I'm guessing he was a "Private, Army" - ie it was his rank.
                            Rose

Comment

thats what i thought rosie but it is nice to hear it from other folk,
                              ta xx
                              george

Comment

Working...
                              X