Vista Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Backup

I have purchased a WD 160gb USB external hard drive. I plugged it in last evening and used it like a flash pen. I used the drop down menu and 'Send To'. This all appeared OK but!!!!!!!!!! Tonight I thought that I would set up an automatic update but I keep getting error 0x81000008 and a message telling me that the back up has failed.
    I have googled this error and this appears to be a normal problem but it is beyond me to be able to convert my disk from fat32 to NTFS and some say that does not work and others that it is unwise.
    I understand that Vista adds all your folders together and creates its own folder to transfer and this must not be greater than 4GB.
    I have six seperate folders to move ie Documents 150mb, pictures 0.98GB
    others are 1.34mb, 5.2mb and 33.6mb not sure what this adds up to.
    Have I once again purchased a useless item to go with all the others?
    It would appear that I need to delete everything on the external disk and create new folders each time. This is because when I tried to update tonight I just got copy files. I may as well have stayed with my selection of flash pens.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

hyer Margaret , hope you are okay ???
    I love some things about Vista but others I hate
    I have terrible trouble finding things I have saved they sometimes just disappear.
    I'm afraid I dont know how to solve your problem I just use flash drives nothing as complicated as that.

Comment

Hi Margaret, I've sent you a pm. :D

Comment

I can't help at all, but just to say that I think one time my brother decided to convert my mum's hard disk from fat32 to NTFS (well, something like that, anyway!) and very badly messed her whole computer up. He did manage to fix it in the end, but I don't think it is something to try unless you know what you're doing!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Margaret, I've another idea that may help you but I would require a little information from you.

I've sent you a PM :D:D

Comment

Thank you all for your help only I could buy what appeared to be a 'simple drive' and find a problem. These companies are getting rich out of me.

John, Thank you so much and I have sent you a pm both ideas sound good.
            Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Sorry I haven't been in touch recently, I haven't forgotten you.

I have created a little backup script for you but I am still having problems saving the 'documents' folder for some reason. This may just be a problem on my PC, I have a lot of strange things on here.

If you would like to try the backup script on your PC to see if it works I can email it to you. Let me know. Otherwise, I will keep trying to get it running on my PC.

PS. I don't appear to have any problems saving the other folders, it's just the 'documents'.

Comment

John, I do not mind waiting until you have sorted it. Meanwhile I am managing well with your copy and paste idea.
                I look forward to receiving it as and when - no hurry but it does sound that bit easier than copy and paste.
                Nice to hear from you, take care.
                Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                X