Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to NZ in the 1840s.... Surgeon Dentist... Help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to NZ in the 1840s.... Surgeon Dentist... Help needed!

My 4x great grandfather was Charles Henry Moffitt, born 15 Dec 1807 in Howick, Northumberland. On his daughters marriage certificate his occupation is surgeon dentist. (daughter Hannah, born c1831 Rothbury, Northumberland and living with her grandfather in 1841).

Charles and his family are here in 1841:

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 828; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Alnwick; County: Northumberland; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 6; Page: 4; Line: 13; GSU roll: 438890.

After some research, I believe that Charles Henry Moffitt emmigrated to New Zealand in the 1840s. I have found what I believe to be his death, and the death of what I presume is a second wife:

MOFFITT.
    Wellington Tribune, 1st February 1875.
    On the 1st February, at the residence, of J L Moffitt, Louisa Felicite Moffitt, relict of John Faithful Fortesque Wright, Captain Royal Marines, also of Charles Henry Moffitt, in her 76th year.

MOFFIT.
    Herald, 21st October 1865.
    On the 18th Oct, at his residence, Willis Street, Wellington, Mr Charles Henry Moffit, of Epilepsy, age 58 years, sincerely lamented by a large circle of friends, for his many amiable qualities.

Would Charles Henry have a death certificate from this period of NZ history? What would it tell me and who would I need to contact to order it? Would he have a will and the same questions about how would I get a copy?

I have found the following marriage on a site on google:
    20 Dec 1884 St John's Presbyterian Church, Willis St, Wellington
    John Charles Henry Moffitt, 25 Bachelor, Clerk, Auckland, Wellington, John L Moffitt, Dentist, Susannah Evelyn Moffitt (Wright)
    Louisa Sylva Evelyn Wright, 19, Spinster, Canterbury NZ, Wellington, Sydney Evelyn Wright, Accountant, Georgina Amelia Wright (Richford).

The thing that interests me is that John L Moffitt is a Dentist, and the second wife of Charles Henry Moffitt died at the residence of J L Moffitt - maybe a child from that second marriage.

Are there any censuses from NZ?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Edit, should have added there is a marriage submitted on the IGI for a Charles H Moffitt to Louisa F Wright 29 JUN 1858 Lyttelton, Canterbury, New Zealand.
    I have only just realised as well that on the 1841 census Charles Henry has a son John who was born c1835, so would have been about the right age to have a son in c1859.
    Last edited by Tom Tom; 02-07-08, 14:32.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

I don't know if this helps, as I don't have time to read it!

The Department of Internal Affairs: Births Deaths and Marriages - Finding Family History Records

Comment

Thanks for that Merry - I will ring them up at 10ish tonight and see if I can order his death cert with the info I have.

I think it is about half three in the morning at the moment in NZ so hopefully some members will see this later on and will have all sorts of gems of wisdom for me to find out some more info

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom.....I'm sure someone will let you know. I've bought death certs from NZ for the 1890s, and they have much the same info as Australian certs so presume 1860s would be similar.

You should get (depending on what informant knew) name, age, birthplace, occupation, parents names, spouse name/s,when and where married, childrens' names and ages, how long they'd been in NZ if born overseas, and where buried.

You can get quite a bit of info.

I have rung NZ and they were more than helpful. Not sure what it costs for phone call from UK???

Comment

PS Tom......it's about 7.40 am in NZ at the moment. The office would be open by 9am.

Comment

Thanks Libby!

I have a death cert for a 2x great uncle in NZ in about 1970 so hopefully the info will be similar. (I hope it will be anyway!)

Comment

Ooh, this one brings back memories. I remember looking at those entries ages and ages ago! Sorry I don't know about NZ death certs, though.

Somewhere in those memories I seem to think that we established last time round that J L Moffitt was her stepson, i.e. a son from Charles's first marriage, but I can't remember how we came to that conclusion at the moment. (Oh, probably from that census entry you mentioned, sorry)

I'm sure that we found out that John Charles Henry Moffitt was the son of John L Moffitt before, too. But I can't remember if we worked out the connection between all those Wrights (if there is one).
              Last edited by KiteRunner; 02-07-08, 22:41.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

HI

Not sure how much help it will be, if any but according to this site that covers NZ and in particular has a sub heading title those who worked for them selves it does list under DENTIST living at Lambton Quay a MOFFITT - sadly no other details though,

Heres the direct link to the last bit

And they worked for themselves.

And here is the full page for everything connected to NZ

NEW INDEX PAGE -
                WendyP

Comment

Tom - did you realise that there are two Public Member Trees on Ancestry for Charles Moffitt? The two deaths you have quoted in the first post seem to match the info on these trees.
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    Ooh, this one brings back memories. I remember looking at those entries ages and ages ago! Sorry I don't know about NZ death certs, though.

Somewhere in those memories I seem to think that we established last time round that J L Moffitt was her stepson, i.e. a son from Charles's first marriage, but I can't remember how we came to that conclusion at the moment. (Oh, probably from that census entry you mentioned, sorry)

I'm sure that we found out that John Charles Henry Moffitt was the son of John L Moffitt before, too. But I can't remember if we worked out the connection between all those Wrights (if there is one).

Are you sure Kate? This is the first time I have looked into it, so maybe you are remembering about someone else??? I never knew about the Wrights before yesterday so it looks as though someone else has been asking about them!
                    Does the name Joy Smith rings a bell with you? I have contacted her on ancestry as she is descended from my 3x great grandparents. Is it possible you looked on GR for her?

Comment

Wendy - those links look useful!

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes thank you Wendy for that link. It is probably John L Moffitt.

I ordered his marriage and death last night so they should arrive within a couple of weeks.

Comment

I don't remember who I looked at all that for, Tom, to be honest, because it was ages ago - I just remember the names involved and their relationships to each other etc; I think I spent ages trying to find info and got very excited when I found all that but I have to admit I don't know who it was for. If it was on GR then the thread may still exist... off to look...
                          KiteRunner

Comment

... no, not on there any more. Though I don't know if it was on there or on here anyway.

Well, if you contact the other people who have Charles Henry Moffitt in their tree, maybe one of them will remember me helping them! By the way, I think he used more than one spelling of his surname, but I'm sure you already know that.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

HI

Hopefully this link has worked just to provide a bit of background on that 1884 marriage that you found Tom

Papers Past — Evening Post — 24 December 1884
                              WendyP

Comment

Thanks for looking Kate.
                                I am in now in touch with one of the owners of the tree - they ar my third cousin twice removed

Thanks for that website Wendy - I have found John Lindsay Moffitt's death (well memorium) but it confirms all the details.

Comment

oh 'eck, I have also just found from the same site that J L Moffitt went bankrupt :(

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                                    oh 'eck, I have also just found from the same site that J L Moffitt went bankrupt :(
                                    You'll find all the gory details in the London Gazette if it was in the UK.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

hope this helps

Hi Tom Tom,
                                      I am also descended from Charles Henry Moffitt, by way of his son from the first marriage. John Lindsay Moffitt was my great, great grandfather.
                                      I have been searching for his mother Harriet and sister for ages but could find no trace.
                                      There is also a 2nd son from the first marriage called Charles Henry, he also came to NZ, on the “Louisa Campbell”, married but died young. I have lots of info on the families here.

I have the marriage certificate from Alnwick and his death cert from NZ.

John’s wife was Susannah Prideaux Evelyn Wright and you are right her mother Louisa Felicia Maria Liardet, widow of John F.F. Wright did marry Charles Henry Moffitt in Wellington, there were no children from this union.

Susy & John had a large family, there are many descendants still living in NZ and many of us are in contact with each other.

I would love to share this with you and learn about Harriet and her daughter.

Comment

Hello Sorrento and Welcome to FTF.

I'm sure Tom will be delighted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X