Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone please check a birth for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone please check a birth for me?

I have been asked by a relative to look up the correct birth date of my great grandad, Robert Connor, however I have asked my mum who gave me the date as 18th October 1914, however her brother is now disputing this saying it possibly was in an earlier year and also may not have been the 18th although we do know it was October!
    Robert died in 1963 when all his children were very young and they werent really given much detail from there mum. Robert as far as we know was born in Manchester and his father also had the same name and his mothers name was Eliza nee Timperley, Robert was also an only child as far as they know.
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to finding his date of birth.

Thankyou

Well, the parents' marriage looks to have been in the last quarter of 1905, Prestwich district, Robert Connor and Eliza Ann Timperley. FreeBMD and Lancashire BMD don't seem to have any births listed for Connor with mother's maiden name Timperley, but if he was born before 1911 then it won't give his mother's maiden name on the GRO index. I'll see what I can find, though...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is a possible death for Eliza on FreeBMD - Eliza Ann Connor died Mar 1910 age 31 Stoke on Trent, but if that's her then Robert jr would have had to be born quite a bit earlier than 1914, plus they would have had to move to Stoke on Trent! Is that at all likely, or is this the wrong death?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Sounds like the right marriage as I have also have that one and the family said yes to that, but the death is the wrong one, I know she was supposed to have died young though or rather when her son was young as apparently Robert was only a young boy when she died,but I have no idea how old she was when she had him anyway yet, however it would be funny if they did move there from Manchester as that is where I now live! but they didnt, they all still live up in Manchester. Hope that makes sense, and Thankyou, Marie

Comment

I couldnt find a birth for Robert either in Manchester thats all saying that I am checking the right dates, and thats what in dispute, got to thinking maybe they moved to Manchester from somwhere else, so thats going to make the search even harder to find his correct birth date.

Comment

Just phoned up my mum to tell my uncle to look on his birth certificate to see how old his dad was when he was born and count back, so at least then he can get the year of birth, so we are at least half way there.
            My mum was always led to believe that her dad was a year younger than her mum (born in 1913) where as my uncle always thought he was a couple of years older.

Comment

Right, got to go out and take my daughter to the ante natal clinic so be back in about an hour or so , so thankyou to those that may reply and I will check my thread when i get back.

Comment

Do you know when in 1963 he died?

There are 3 Robert Connor deaths in 1963

Q/E Mar Robert aged 52 Manchester
                Q/E Sep Robert J aged 57 Bucklow
                Q/E Dec Robert aged 68 Oldham

There is a birth for a Robert Connor in Q/E Dec 1910 Manchester which would tie in with the first one (if my maths are right!)

A possible?

Jackie
                Jackie

Comment

There's a death for a Robert Connor in Manchester 1963 giving his age as 52

:D snap Jackie ...
                  Last edited by Rachel Scand; 02-07-08, 11:10.
                  ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

There is a Robert Connor death listed in Manchester in the first quarter of 1963, age given as 52. Of course, the age given is only as accurate as the knowledge of the person who registered the death, but if that is him and if it is right then he was born about 1910. Which would mean no mother's maiden name on the GRO index!

If that is his death, and if he was definitely born in October, then I would say the most likely birth registration is Dec 1910 Manchester vol 8d p 239 (that's what it says on FreeBMD, I haven't checked the image to make sure the page number is right though).

You could specify mother's name or father's name when ordering the cert if you don't want to pay full price only to find out it's the wrong cert.

(I see I was way too slow there, well done Jackie!)
                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 02-07-08, 11:18.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Marie from Stoke View Post
                      Just phoned up my mum to tell my uncle to look on his birth certificate to see how old his dad was when he was born and count back, so at least then he can get the year of birth, so we are at least half way there.
                      My mum was always led to believe that her dad was a year younger than her mum (born in 1913) where as my uncle always thought he was a couple of years older.
                      I don't think it will say how old the father was on the son's birth certificate, sorry.

Did Robert Connor sr serve in WW1? If he did then maybe his service record will be on ancestry.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you all for your help, the 1963 Manchester must be him, so therefore the year of birth that I was trying to find him in was wrong. Anyway I have passed on the info for my uncle who needed it, so I will let him take it from there.

Thank you again for all your help and advice.

Comment

I think thats why my uncle wants the info in the first place, something he said to do with the war., he mentioned that unless he had the correct date of birth then they couldnt give him something that he was asking for off them. Typical, I only ever get half a story when I ask them something but when they want to know something they expect everying ! oh well thats my family for you lol

Comment

He is prob trying to get Robert jr's WW2 papers then because the WW1 papers would be on ancestry if they exist.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Thank You Kite Runner

Comment

MIght be worth a look to see if his father has WWI papers on ancestry - they sometimes give DOBs for children
                                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Working...
                                X