Couple of questions re: ordering from GRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions re: ordering from GRO

I've already written to the GRO to ask these questions, but the site said it would take up to nine days for them to answer me...too impatient as I want to order the certs tomorrow!!

I have been given a reference for a GRO Regimental Birth (Army Birth and Baptisms 1761-1924)

Year 1811
    Place Landguard
    Regt 1st
    Vol 84
    Pg 31

I'm not 100% that this is my guy, but I am guessing that although the birth took place in Ireland, the registration is in England, and therefore I would select "Overseas Births". When I get to the GRO reference there is only one box, so do I just type the above in one staight line?

Also, I want to order a regular certificate at the same time (death 1843) - can I do that one on the same order, or do I have to do separate orders for each type of certificate?

Hi Margaret.....not sure anyone else is awake at the moment, but don't want you to feel ignored.

I have ordered more than one cert on the same order, but I'm not sure about the 1st one. There are no certs pre 1837. Do you mean 1911?

If the person is no longer alive, put up the details, and I'll have a look.

Comment

Hi Libby.

No, I did mean 1811. When I typed 1811 into the regular births it came up with the "no births before 1837" etc, but whenI clicked on overseas births and put in 1811 it carried on just fine. Just want to make sure I fill everything out correctly.

BTW, I have siblings in Brisbane.

Comment

Sorry Margaret...I have been out with grandson (school holidays here).

Well, I've never seen that about the 1811, so We will both have to wait till someone who knows can tell us. LOL.

I might know your family!!!! Brisbane is big, but you never know.

Comment

I'll risk the fact that you may have read >THIS< page from the GRO site....if that is the case, then sorry, didn't mean to offend!

But I encountered many of the same problems last year with 'births/events registered overseas', and the other questions you have asked here. This page on the link answered just about any question I could think of and has saved me countless £'s in fees.

One good piece of advice is on the 'Reference Checking/Document Matches' question... I've used that on occasion and it works, even though it has sometimes cost me the £3 fee. But it made sure I got the RIGHT CERTIFICATE!

Comment

Know the feeling about school holidays Libby - we've just started; so 9 weeks left!!

Thanks elba. I hadn't quite done all the digging around I should have - was getting tired last night. But it does look like I just type in what I have above. Just didn't want to waste time by sending the wrong reference.

Comment

Working...
            X