What is this cause of death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this cause of death?

I have just received a death certificate for the widow of an ag lab dating from 1867. The lady was 67 and her cause of death was "sloughing of the nales (sic) certified". I don't understand; if she was losing her nails then that would be a symptom, say of poisoning, not a cause.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Peter

I can't think what it means, but by 1867 I would have thought a registrar and indeed a doctor could spell nails, so I am guessing "nales" is a misreading for something else. Did it say how long she had the condition?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell,

Thank you for your interest. There is no indication of time at all. The only alternative I could think of was "nares" but it seems to be an "l"; even if the nose were dropping off it would be a symptom and not fatal in itself.

Peter

Comment

I was hoping someone clever would be able to suggest something likely. sorry I can't help but if you do find out more do let us know.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

In 1867, a lot of death causes were a wild guess, by the doctor, or by the family (uncertificated). I wouldn't get too hung up on a cause of death from that era as medicine and certainly diagnosis, was rudimentary in the main.

(Incidentally, I read somewhere that a survey of death certs in 2005, produced ONE THIRD which had errors/incomprehensible causes of death/inaccurate causes of death, etc. There are certain things you are not allowed to die of, in this country!)

OC

Comment

Peter, Could you scan the certificate and post up an image of the relevant bit?

Comment

LOL! Sorry to larf, but it is a disease of DOGS!

I think what it means on the death cert is "I don't have a clue what this woman died of, but her nails were sloughing off, just in case that ever becomes an important issue"

OC

Comment

Working in the nursing home, we tend to clean up 'slough' when cleaning wounds which are refusing to heal properly.
                Its the horrible 'gunge' around a bad wound/sore etc.....could it have been gangrene of the fingers?????????????? *shrugs*!!

Comment

Working...
                X