No announcement yet.

Can someone please check this for me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please check this for me...

My paternal 2x great grandparents were Thomas Connelly and Alice Violet Arnold.

They married 10th Jan 1886 in St Luke, Hackney. Her age is given as 23 (so born c1863) and her Dad is George Arnold, Mariner. Witnesses were Kate Sawyer and Elizabeth Read(?) McClolland(?).

In 1891 Alice says she was born c1863 in Knightsbridge.

In 1901 Alice says she was born c1862 in Knightsbridge.

I have been unable to find a birth for Alice Violet Arnold c1863 anywhere in London, but did find the following birth cert:

Alice Arnold born 5 Feb 1862, 23 Hill Street, Knightsbridge.
    Father George Arnold, Musician 2nd Life Guards. Mother Hannah Arnold formerly Moffit.

In 1881 I have found an Alice Arnold, born c1863 in Knightsbridge working as a servant in a pub in Westminster (family story has it that Alice was a barmaid in a pub Thomas drank in). On the same page is ANN CONNELLY and her children - she was the widow of Thomas' uncle.

In 1871 Alice is living in Hammersmith with her Father, George Arnold, widower (a Sergeant Militia, born Eaton, Bucks) and siblings Kate, George and Frederick. ALice (and all her siblings) just have the place of birth as London Middlesex.

In 1861 (so before Alice was born) this same family are living in 23 Hill Street Knightsbridge. George is a Corporal 2nd Life Guards. His wife is called Hannah, and they have children Kate and George. For some reason there is no birth places for any of the family.

So, do you think this is all to do with my Alice Violet Arnold? I really want it to be because it looks as though it gets interesting going back from there, but I just wanted to check with everone else.

One of Alice's daughters was called Kate... all the other daughters had first and middle names from family members on their dad's side (including his first wife).

Thanks for looking.

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Hi Tom

Was Kate Sawyer the witness her sister ? Could the marriage certificate be incorrect and it should say musician not mariner - it could look very similar if scrawled - have you looked at the parish register or just the certificate from info forwarded to the GRO ?

What about a baptism for these children ? Most children were baptised after civil reg. so there may be another clue there ? It seems to me that a quite a few people were registered with just one christian name but acquired a second sometime during their life, perhaps a baptismal name, perhaps they just liked it as they grew up.

If it was me I would follow up George the musician and Hannah and Kate and George, even after Alice's marriage - did they ever have grandchildren with them in the census ? Did they live near Alice and her husband ?

Hope this gives you some ideas, to me it looks like a strong possibility and I would chase it up.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hey Tom

In my opinion it looks like the correct family espeacially as the parents names are correct.
      Also as he was with the life guards he may have put down Mariner.

Danny
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Hi dicole and Danny

I have both the GRO version and the PR version. The GRO really does look like Mariner, but on the PR one it could quite easily be Musician.

I cannot find hide nor hair of George (Snr, or Jnr) after the 1871 census, and I cannot see a death for Hannah that jumps out at me straight away.

I think I have found Kate's marriage to William Sawyer in 1884, but would need to get that to check.
        I also think I have found Frederick's birth ref in the same district as Alice's in OND 1863, which would mean Hannah's death was in that quarter or afterwards.

The only problem with the parish records is that it is London and they could be anywhere!

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

It all seems to fit together nicely - Kate's marriage cert should confirm it all.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
          X