Best sites for research???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best sites for research???

I seem to be having a lot of trouble lately finding people and wondered if I am using the sites that are available to the best advantage ??
    I wonder if you could tell me which sites are best and for which purpose thanks

I would say ancestry is the best for searching the censuses, but if you can't find somebody on there then try the other census searches - FreeCEN, findmypast, 1901 census site, etc.

For BMD's I would look on FreeBMD first and if not on there then ancestry - if a quarter refuses to be found on ancestry then look on findmypast. But also check on FamilySearch.

For pre-Civil Registration stuff FamilySearch and FreeREG, but also look in our Wiki for sites that have stuff for each particular county. Oh, and Family History Online or findmypast for the National Burial Index.

I'm sure I must have forgotten something!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thanks Kite I am going to write that lot down as I dont seem to be making use of a lot of them.
      I even tried the address search for 1901 tonight on two which are 99% right but got nothing .

Comment

Val, don't forget to leave out the "Road" or "Street" part on 1901. If you still can't find them then post up the addresses and we'll have a try tomorrow.
        KiteRunner

Comment

thanks I did leave that off ,these addresses were supplied by Dr Barnados and the other two they supplied were right so I would think these were too ,although maybe the district is wrong ?????????
          24 Cambridge Circus near Cambridge Heath not sure if its Middlesex name of occupier Emily Muller or Miller with a child called Thomas not sure about a husband .
          83 Barnetts Grove Bethnal Green Road name of occupier Mary Tyler
          would be grateful thanks

Comment

If you put in 24 Cambridge as the House and / or Street, and put in London as the place keyword, then scroll through the results, there are 3 matches for 24 Cambridge Circus and they give the civil parish as Bethnal Green, which looks right if it is near Cambridge Heath.
            KiteRunner

Comment

And the spelling for the other one should be Barnet - put in 83 Barnet and, again, use London for the keyword, and it will come up.
              KiteRunner

Comment

oh thanks Kite off to do that

Comment

thanks again but both arent there ??????? must have moved on or lied .

Comment

They had probably been at the addresses you quote - but for a fairly short peiod of time. When most property was rented, and people's possession could go on a handcart, they would move much more frequently than we do today.
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

hyer Phoenix yes my Nan used to load all her worldly possessions on a cart and move while her husand was in Prison she always hoped he would not find them when he came out !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X