Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please can somebody help me with my............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can somebody help me with my............

Seddon problem please?

Here we go, i have the marriage cert for my great grandfather John Seddon who married Annie Reynolds in 1944.

John was 37 and Annie was 32.

Now i was told John was born in New Springs near Wigan (wherever that is) and was told he was born 1906.

John's father was also named John and was Coal Miner.

Can anybody suggest how to locate him without having to buy countless certs or am i going to have to do this the expensive way?

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

If you have his marriage then you could order his birth certificate with his Father's name as a checking point.

John Seddon
    JAS 1906
    Wigan
    8c 19

Do you know when he died? If it was after 1969 then his date of birth (or the date believed to be the birthdate by the informant) then that will be in the indexes and on his death cert and could work out which birth ref (ie right quarter, correct year) if that makes sense.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

On the marriage cert it states that John Seddon snr was deceased and that was 1944.

Is it possible to do a checking point via the online cert ordering site?

Danny

Comment

Sorry wrong John, Im not sure when John Jrn died as my grandad cant remember what the year was.

Danny

Comment

If your Grandad can remember something about it that would be helpful! You could ask if it was before your grandad's wedding, did he ever see any of your grandad's children and those type of things will help narrow it down.

If you order that birth certificate you can stipulate that you only want it if the father is called John. Obviously this doesn't work if there has been a clerical error..

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

There are 13 John Seddon's living in Wigan in 1901. Only three of them are married with their own families and have wives and families.

This one is a coal miner: Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3558; Folio: 82; Page: 10

One is an iron worker, and the other is a bricklayer (but his wife is 56 in 1901).

I suspect your family are the first one and the one I have given the ref for, however, there could be one of the John's who is a "son" in 1901 marrying between then and 1906.

So, to summarise I would order that birth cert.

Does your grandad know if John Snr had any siblings?
            Last edited by Tom Tom; 01-07-08, 22:32.

Comment

This birth is on Lancsbmd - if you use that site to order, you won't pay anything if it is the wrong cert. (They return your cheque).

I notice there are TWO in 1906, both Wigan, but one is John Dawson Seddon - ring any bells?

OC

Comment

Cheers Tom

When i stipulate that John's father must be John is it best i leave out the coal miner occupation just in case he changed jobs?

Danny

Comment

Hey OC

Dawson dosent ring any bells or atleast im not aware of the name reacurring.

Danny

Comment

Danny

If you do it through Lancsbmd, you can waffle on about "his father may or may not be a coal miner" in a way that you can't do when ordering from GRO!

However, if you are confident of the birth year then as I say, there are only two born that year in Wigan.

OC

Comment

I think i will order the cert you mentioned Tom.

Can i please have the ref for the coal miner on ancestry to take a wee glance?

Oh and my grandad never mentioned siblings but i will email him to ask.

Danny

Comment

Hey OC

Im positive it was 1906, when i showed my GD the marriage cert i did the math and said 'so im looking for 1907' and he said that he was sure it was 1906.

Danny

Comment

All the certs I have ordered lately through Wigan RO now come from Chain Caul Way Preston and are just GRO copies.
                          Wigan no longer hold there own registers. Such a shame as the registrar I spoke to was hanging up her fountain pen! No more original certs for me.

]

Comment

Hi Danny

I have put it in my original post cos I realised I had left it out.

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3558; Folio: 82; Page: 10

Comment

Cheers Tom

I had a look on Lancs bmd and luckily there are no John Seddon births in Wigan in 1907.

Shame about the original certs Denise, looks like ill be ordering from there alot from now on.

Danny

Comment

Denise

Oooh, that does make me cross! Most of my rellies are from Lancs and all my certs are photocopies of the originals, bar two.

(And six of those certs never made it to the GRO, so I'm the very last person who will see them!)

OC

Comment

It is a shame Danny and they were so helpful.

I went in to register my mums death last Nov and they were moving the registers then. They explained in the future it would
                                  be all computerised. The registrars were really sad as they loved to help you out and they said it was the end of an era!

]

Comment

Denise

Do you by any chance have the number i can order the cert from as it says N/A on lancs bmd.

Danny

Comment

OC the registrar who did mums death cert was really upset by it all!

You can image us both sat snivelling and trying to comfort one another.OH was slightly bemused by it all lol.

She did me a special favour and wrote mums cert out with her fountain pen!. She said that was the last one she would have the pleasure of writing by hand! I dont know who was most upset her or me. It is a shame they really went out of the way to help you..

]

Comment

Danny, sorry but its all changed now and the tel phone numbers I have are discontinued. The register office is in Library St Wigan..Think this one still works 01942 705000, you could try it and ask..

]

Comment

Working...
                                        X