Another one for a date, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one for a date, please.

I scanned these together, as they are husband & wife, but its the man I'm more interested in.

She (Hannah) died in 1880, aged 33.
    He (Sam) was born in 1843. I notice that his left hand is a bit wrinkled, but I've no idea of his age here, or the fashions.

Thanks
    Last edited by Helen Smith Too; 02-07-08, 20:07.
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

He looks as if he could be in his 50s I think. I'm no good on men's clothes but he looks as if he might have something to do with farming. Judging by the double chin he looks quite prosperous!

Anne

Comment

i would say 45,and he seems to be dressed in knicker bockers,some lairds dressed like this and lord,was he a wealthy man? he could have had an accident shooting if he had land,brendaxxx

Comment

Hi Helen, your lady is dressed in the style of the late 1860s when the crinoline with it's underskirt of hoops was gradually reducing in size, she has her hair up and plaited on the top of her head and a flat hat, all were fashionable about this time. Your gentleman appears to be about 40, making this early 1880s which would fit I think with his bowler and the style of his jacket and waist coat. His stick looks to be a stout one for walking. Sticks were very fashionable for gentlemen in the town as well as in the country. He also appears to be wearing gaiters, but I don't know much about them I'm afraid.....:o

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
          This man wasn't a countryman, except for when he worked for a time as a lock-keeper in the 1870s.
          Most of his life he seems to have worked in a foundry. Based in the Dudley-Walsall area.
          Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
            His stick looks to be a stout one for walking. Sticks were very fashionable for gentlemen in the town as well as in the country.

Hmmmm ... wonder what it's made from ?.....
            Maybe blackthorn ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

The gentleman is wearing plus fours and gaiters, which were not town garb.

Comment

i thought that barbara,he seems dressed for the country,brenda xxx

Comment

Those are not plus fours but breeches. My father used to wear breeches with long socks when he delivered the bread he had baked. His bread van was pulled by a horse in Selsey in Sussex.

Comment

Thanks Shirley, that makes him even more "farmery"

Comment

My guess is he is in his 40's
                      Vikki -
                      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Working...
                      X