Lancaster Marriage Bonds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancaster Marriage Bonds?

I've found an entry on ancestry in the parish and probate section which must be OH's ancestors:

Lancashire, Westmoreland: - Marriage Bonds, Deaneries of Lonsdale Kendal Furness and Copeland and Amounderness (Archdeaconry of Richmond), 1746-1755

The entry is for William Miller of Sowerby, husb(andman) age 30 and Margaret Hoole age 16. Date given is 31 Dec 1747 and it says St Michaels which is probably St Michael on Wyre. I've found two possible baptisms for Margaret - one in 1731, father Cuthbert Hoole, and one in 1732 father John. I think the first one is more likely but I wonder whether the actual marriage bond would give more information? I've found some Lancashire marriage bond transcriptions on Google Book Search which say who the bondsmen were, but I can't see this one on there.

Does anybody know if it would be possible to get a copy of the bond and how I would go about it, please?

By the way, this is the William Miller whose will was proved in 1812 and it says he died in 1811, so he must have reached a good age! I'm sure it must be him because his wife is Peggy in the will and the first of his children who is mentioned in the will was born in 1750.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

These would be held at the Diocesan, which is usually the same as the County Record Office. Contact the relevant CRO and ask - they should at least know where they are, even if they don't hold then personally.

(Having seen various transcriptions for various counties, the info recorded seems to vary hugely over time, so don't pin your hopes too high of more detail.)
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Kate

You may find this on A2A, in which case there is a link to the Archdeaconry.

Even if you cannot find the doc on A2A, you can pick up the link to the Archdeaconry from the drop down list of sources.

OC

Comment

Thanks. I've had a look at the Lancashire Record Office site and it looks as though I would be unlikely to get any extra information from the bond anyway. But I've found someone on ancestry who has them on their tree, so I've contacted them to ask if they have any further info.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, the ancestry contact has kindly got back to me and says the marriage bond actually gives William's age as 20, not 30, which makes a lot more sense!
          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
          X