Death cert - Is it the right one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death cert - Is it the right one?

I've received a death certificate today for a Samuel Clarke, who may or may not have been my 2xgrGrandfather, as it's a fairly common name.

These are the certs details -

Death registered in Wolverhampton District, sub-district Kinver.
    Samuel Clark], died 29th Jan 1919, aged 76 years at Lower Whittymere Farm, Halfpenny Green, Bobbington (nr Stourbridge). Occupation is Ironworker and cause of death is given as Heart Failure, Natural Causes.
    The info was provided by Allan Stokes, coroner for South West Staffs, Inquest held 1st Feb 1919.

This is the info I have on my Samuel Clark/e:

Born 8th Oct 1843 – Quarry Bank, nr Stourbridge. (would have been 75 in Jan 1919)

1861 census - ? keeper (living with parents, Hadzor)
    Marriage cert March 1869 – Rail Time Keeper (living in Amblecote)
    Dau’s birth cert Jul 1869 – Lock Keeper (living Stoke Prior)
    1871 Census – Lock-Keeper
    Son’s birth cert Oct 1877 – Fitter in foundry (living in Walsall)
    Dau’s death cert Jul 1880 – General labourer (m-i-l- registered death)
    Wife’s death cert Jul 1880 - ditto
    1881 census – missing
    1891 census – Driller in ironworks, Tipton (in lodgings)
    1901 census – Iron plate driller – Tipton (lodging with same people)
    Son’s marriage cert May 1901 - Fitter.

Do you think it is likely that this is the death certificate for the right man?

Thanks for looking.
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Possibly
    As you have a date for the inquest I would look that up to see what details that holds.

Jayne
    Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Even with all the details you have provided, I think it is impossible for anyone to say you definitely have the right person.
      There is an 18 year gap between latest sighting and his death.

You need a report of the inquest, to see if family are named at all. Also check in case the funeral is reported.

Electoral rolls might help with addresses in the interim, but if he is lodging at various addresses, he may have slipped below the radar.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I have a few doubts. Kinver was an iron-mining area, whereas Tipton and surrounding area was iron-working. Although he seems to have had a variety of jobs, iron-mining is a young man's occupation.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

He had 2 surviving children of his second marriage - my grGrandfather, who lived up here in Barrow, and a daughter, Laura, who I haven't traced after the 1901 census. There may also be a daughter, Sarah, from his first marriage, but I never found any evidence of her.
          It's the right area for him - he didn't seem to stray much out of this area, and Bobbington is very near where his own parents originated.
          Helen

Comment

Uncle John,
            He was never a miner - the certificate says Iron worker, which he was on the last 3 records I have.
            Helen

Comment

Have you checked on the 1901 census to see if there are any other likely candidates?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Helen Smith Too View Post
                Uncle John,
                He was never a miner - the certificate says Iron worker, which he was on the last 3 records I have.
                Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. It's not likely your man was in Kinver, because there was (as far as I know) no ironworks there, only mines.

Comment

Yes, but he was 76 years old and living on a farm - I don't know what he was doing there.
                  We've all got certificates where a former occupation is listed. Many miners became labourers as they got older, but a cert would still say 'miner'.
                  Helen

Comment

Would it help to check the electoral rolls for the farm at the time he died? If you knew who else was there.......they might be family members.

Comment

There is a Samuel Clarke of a similar age and an Ironworker in Wolstanton on the 1901 census, but there are also 2 possible deaths for him - in 1910 & 1922.
                      Helen

Comment

I don't know if you've looked to see who was at the farm in 1901?

Ezra Brown (45) from Buglawton, Cheshire and his wife Ellen nee Leese (44) from Mowcop (that's the transcript?!), Staffordshire. They were not there in 1891 though, so most likely not there in 1919 either.

Comment

Yes, I spent a while last night trying to work out who was there in 1901.

I know that the woman my Sam was lodging with in Tipton in 1891 & 1901 died in 1915.
                          Apart from when he went missing in 1881, he doesn't seem to have strayed much from this area. His wife was in Walsall in 1871 - but he wasn't. She registered the children's births too. And her mother registered the deaths in 1880. The only thing putting them in the same place at the same time is the marriage certificate!
                          He wasn't with either surviving child in 1881. Daughter Laura with Gran, son Horace lodging under a dodgy name. Horace had joined him in Tipton in 1891, but seems to have scarpered to Yorkshire at the earliest opportunity. Didn't even list him as next of kin when he signed up in 1902 - he used the landlady in Tipton instead (but then he was enrolling under a false name!)

This is Sam and his wife Hannah. Her photo must be from around the 1870s. No idea on his.
                          Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            I don't know if you've looked to see who was at the farm in 1901?

Ezra Brown (45) from Buglawton, Cheshire and his wife Ellen nee Leese (44) from Mowcop (that's the transcript?!), Staffordshire. They were not there in 1891 though, so most likely not there in 1919 either.
                            Mow Cop is a prominent hill (the railway station was Mow Cop and Scholar Green).

Comment

Working...
                            X