Help with birth cert please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with birth cert please

Could someone tell me what the wording before the cert number is and what it is for please,

also above the mothers name what do the numbers/letters mean please

Thank you

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Hi
    I think its says No fifteen C/A JR and initialled over with K. It is also No 15 over mothers name so logically I would say the two are connected. Is the registars surname begin with K or perhaps C? but I am afraid I don't know what they mean, perhaps an ammendment on the registrar/parish records
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

It means a correction has been made to a mistake when the cert was filled in - No. 15 is the number of the correction and on the left the number is written as a word and the registrar has initialled it. But normally you would see something crossed out and replaced with the correction; I'm not sure what has been corrected here. Perhaps the fact that Elizabeth is underlined means it has been corrected?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The number relates to a record registrars have to keep of all corrected errors made in registers. I woud have expected to see an alteration rather than just an underlining of mother's name but perhaps when the copy was made up to send in to the GRO the original error was left off.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you

Jean... the registars name was Samuel Hollingsworth

Kite and Judith... cannot see any alterations on the cert, unless as you say its something to do with the name Elizabeth

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
          Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
          Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Might be worth contacting the local registrar to see if the original has an error more clearly altered on it.

Jean
            Civil registration and parish records are completely separate though equally useful to family historians.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X