Birth registered in 1897 but 1899 on Cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth registered in 1897 but 1899 on Cert

Am I missing something here have a birth cert born 21/11/1897 registered 17/12/1897 yet the year printed under Registration district is 1899

just found a death registered for the same name in 1899 says age 0
    Is it possible the child mentioned above was born in 1899 and they lied about his birth date???

Comment

I don't have any idea, Val, unless it's not meant to be a date but a reference number.

If you like, put up the names and I'll have a look.

Comment

Hi got the cert today, and its very clear the date of birth and registration but where its printed in the top bit it says 1899 as clear as day
        I am on the laptop at the moment will go out to the pc where the printer is and put it on here.
        I may have to send for the death cert too.

Comment

Val, if it is 1897 in the index then it must have been registered in 1897 - sounds like a mistake when the GRO printed the cert for you. Unless it was a late registration, in which case it would be listed in the index for 1899 and the 1897 entry would say "see 1899". If I were you I would contact the GRO and ask them to confirm that the year is supposed to be 1897.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            Is it possible the child mentioned above was born in 1899 and they lied about his birth date???
            He could have died just after his first birthday and they forgot he was 1 and put 0, perhaps? Or he actually died before his first birthday but it took a long time for the registration to get onto the index. Which quarter of 1899 is the death registered in?
            KiteRunner

Comment

the death is registered in Dec 1899 its a different district but they were gypsies so moved around a lot

Comment

well I rang them and they said the director must have made a mistake ??????as the birth date would always be correct.

Comment

can somebody please have a look at this
                  I have found the parents of this Noah Stanley on 1901 RG13/944
                  Thirza and John Stanley parents , but they dont have a son called Noah they have a daughter called Nora , who's birth I cannot find the only one of the right time of birth is with different parents and born in Salisbury Wilts not Fishersgate in Sussex
                  Do you think its possible she was registered with the name Noah instead of Nora ??? maybe thats why the cert I got is 1899 and not 1897 ????
                  Please anybody ????????????????

Comment

Val - do you mean the typed bit at the top of the cert?

I have one where my 5x great grandmother (according to the notes at the top) died in 1960 (it was 1860) and I have several where there are spelling mistakes in the registration district.

Go by the info on the actual cert (ie the stuff in the columns). :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Having looked at the census, I expect it's just a mistake on the census where the enumerator copied out the form wrong, and it should say Noah. I see the youngest one, Sarah, was registered Sep 1899.
                      Last edited by KiteRunner; 30-06-08, 16:50.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        This death (Noah Stanley aged 0) is in West Bromwich .... Staffordshire

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Suppose nobody in the household could write then isn't it possible that the name Noah was mistakenly heard and entered as Nora ?
                          (I mean on the 1901 census)

The birth for Noah is in Steyning, Sussex ... Fishersgate is not in my road atlas but it is in the Brighton area (found it on google maps) ... so, it's close to Steyning

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 30-06-08, 18:42.
                          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Val

Re the birth cert. Birth occurred in Nov and v. likely it would be registered Dec same year, so GRO eror.

Census: I expect Nora was recorded as Noah and when transcribed onto the sheet some twit decided int said Nora and should be a daughter. (perhaps he thought person filling it in was confused by Noah Stanley in household above).
                            Couldn't find Thirza as she's down as Thurza, so another example of how easy it is for things to be muddled.

I have a distant cousin on census with a son called Joseph. The next census, no Joseph, but a daughter called Mary same age and birthplace. Then no trace of Mary but Joseph reappears later. I'm still puzzling that one out.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks Kite Rachel and Nell back to the drawing board.

Comment

Val
                                Have you found the family in Staffordshire or Wiltshire on any censuses at all ?
                                I mean, are they places you'd associate with them ?

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 01-07-08, 10:05.

Comment

I would say the same as the others.....Nora didn't exist and should be Noah on the census.

The death reg for Noah in West Bromwich is most likely either for a child whose birth was never registered, or for a child registered for birth with either a different surname or a different first name.

I have Arthur Cotton on OHs tree, who married and had children, but was called Martha on his first census and was listed as a girl!! (Like yours, the birth cert was correct)

Comment

This morning I received a birth certificate for some one who was born in 1895. The birth was registered in - 1950 - by her sister. Presumably she was looking for her oap and found she wasn't registered!
                                    Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

thanks Merry,
                                      Rita that must be unusual

Comment

I saw a piece in The Times about a man who wanted to claim his Old Age Pension (in the 1950's) but his birth regisration couldn't be found, so the authorities agreed to check his details on a census. He gave his place of birth and said that was where he had lived as a child.

The authorities couldn't find him on the census and the case was going to a different court.....I couldn't find any follow-up report.

I looked for him and found him easily on Ancestry (living near, but not in, his birth village!), but he was about 5 years younger than he was claiming!

I wonder if the pension was granted??!

Also, his birth was registered, in his mother's maiden name! lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X