Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find this marriage please?

I have spent ages looking for this marriage & have now conceded defeat :(

They probably never married but I have to check anyway. All the censuses show them as married.
    I am looking for Margaret Campbell, born Scotland approx 1844 (sometimes says Edinburgh on the census) she married a William George Cooper born Arlesey Bedfordshire in approx 1845. He had an older brother called George William Cooper b. 1843 & they often seem to drop their first name just to confuse me

Here they are in 1871 for ref :
    RG10; Piece: 1628; Folio: 72; Page: 82; GSU roll: 829937.

And 1881 :
    RG11; Piece: 849; Folio: 43; Page: 30; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341201.

According to the 1881 she was born in 1848

I have tried everything, including someone checking marriages on Scotland's People for me, but no joy.

Any help to find the marriage much appreciated
    Thanks!

Joanie

There are some submission entries (with varying plausibility!) and some PR transcription batches. None of these seems to fit in with your info (but included for completeness)...

IGI submission: Batch Number: 7134902

GEORGE WILLIAM COOPER
    Birth: 20 JUL 1823 sic
    Christening: 09 JUN 1844 Arlesey, Bedford
    Father: GEORGE COOPER
    Mother: HANNAH ROBINSON

(I note that M035511 has a marriage of a William COOPER to Elizabeth GORLER: 6 AUG 1823 Arlesey, Bedford
    Similarly M035513 has a marriage for George COOPER to Hannah ROBINSON: JAN 1840 Arlesey, Bedford)

WILLIAM GEORGE COOPER
    Birth: 12 JUN 1845
    Christening: 19 OCT 1845 Arlesey, Bedford
    Mother: HANNAH ROBINSON

Batch M035513
    6 JUL 1868 Arlesey, Bedford
    WILLIAM GEORGE COOPER
    Spouse: ANN SMITH
    Husband Age at Marriage: 23
    Wife Age at Marriage: 25
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine

Yes I have those thanks. Can you see what I mean about their names? That is definitely George William marrying Ann Smith, so William George was the one that married Margaret Campbell, or not as seems to be the case, lol!

Joanie

Comment

Have you found both brothers together on one census?

I only ask because a two-year age-variation isn't much, and people often swapped their names around.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just answered my own question by looking at 1861! - Yes there are two different men!

Christine

Comment

In 1851 they are using their middle names! lol (at least I think so??? )

Comment

No George COOPER & Margaret CAMPBELL marriages transcribed 1861-1891 on FreeBMD; nor on the multi-search on UKBMD.

The trouble is that they obviously moved around a lot in the search for work.
              Children born:
              1865-6 Battersea
              1867-8 Greenwich
              1869-70 Plaistow (or Barking)
              1871-2 Plaistow
              1873-4 Birmingham
              1876-7 Glaston, Rutland
              1878-9 Glaston, Rutland
              1882-3 Elmers End, Kent
              1883-4 South Cave, Yorks
              1885-6 Tilbury
              1888-9 Putney
              1890 Claughton, Lancs

That doesn't give you much of an idea about where he might have been between 1861 and 1865! (Assuming that that's when the marriage actually happened.)

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-06-08, 21:06.

Comment

Maybe they just weren't married?

I have Margaret junior's birth certificate but it just says her mother was Margaret Cooper, formerly Campbell father William Cooper. :(

I suppose it could have been one of those that wasn't registered, it wasn't compulsory until 1875 or something was it? Maybe the PR's would show a marriage if only I knew where to look!

I guess that I could start wit Arlsey itself. Maybe they married in his Parish, or maybe Gretna Green, lol!

Joanie

Comment

Yes they moved around a lot, considering this is the one who was a coprolite miner lmho !!

I guess dinosaurs went all over the UK lol !

:D

Joanie

Comment

It was births and deaths that it wasn't compulsory to register. Marriages should all be in the system.

My bet is that they were married, but probably not where you might expect and probably with the groom only using one first name. There are so many marriages for either name, you only need one of them to have the wrong page number and it's possible you would miss the record over and over!

If only the Victorians had realised they shouldn't marry someone with a common-place name if they had a common-place name themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

If only the Victorians had realised they shouldn't marry someone with a common-place name if they had a common-place name themselves!
                      Ooooo Merry it's not my tree fortunately I don't do common lmho !!!

I don't even own a Smith

:D:D

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                        I don't even own a Smith

:D:D
                        :( I have 250 Smiths on my tree. My gg-grandmother was Mary Smith (about the worst name possible! lol)

Comment

LOL Merry !!

I only do unique, rare & easily mistranscribed ones lmho !!

I guess at least you can find Smith easily most of the time, lol ;)
                          :D

Joanie

Comment

Yes, but I have spent five years trying to sort out the Smith entries in a group of parishes; pages and pages of data, but I've only been able to add one person to my tree :(

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                              Yes, but I have spent five years trying to sort out the Smith entries in a group of parishes; pages and pages of data, but I've only been able to add one person to my tree :(
                              *smirks*

Oooo come on, don't say you don't want to solve my common old Cooper/Campbell mystery then? I'm not used to having thousands to search through

;)

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                              X