City of London Burial Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of London Burial Registers

The City of London Burial Registers for years 1856 to 1865 may be useful for some of those people with London ancestors. It is not searchable by name at present, but year only, which is a downside, but if you have an approximate year of death, then worth looking at. If you do not know the year then it is a trawl through of 141 pages. Maybe it is a site worth keeping your eye on to see if search aspect gets easier. Apologies to those who already know about this site.

Search Burial Registers

Janet

That's an interesting site, thanks Janet.

I notice that they are all buried in unconsecrated ground, maybe they kept a register separately for those at that time? I wonder why they were buried that way ?

Joanie

Comment

The City of London Cemetery in Ilford was built as a public cemetery, it isn't attached to a church and therefore the ground isn't consecrated.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Joan

Yes, I noticed that many were paupers and whilst looking for one possible ancestor I came across another quite probable distant ancestor from Clerkenwell, same place as the one I was looking for. This one was a witness to the marriage of the one I was trying to find. Paupers were often buried in unconsecrated ground, I think. They were certainly buried in paupers' graves which was a great indignity.

Thanks Nell for that information.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 29-06-08, 16:49.

Comment

Thanks for the link - it's new to me (tho' not the actual site).

I've just started looking at it... What beautiful script!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ah thanks Nell!!

The script is beautiful, pity the same chap couldn't have done all the censuses eh? lol

Joanie

Comment

To be fair, there wasn't as much writing involved. One or two burials a day, compared with hundreds of pages of census sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                That's an interesting site, thanks Janet.

I notice that they are all buried in unconsecrated ground, maybe they kept a register separately for those at that time? I wonder why they were buried that way ?

It does not mean that they were buried in unconsecrated graves.
                Any Christian would be buried in a grave was consecrated at the time of the funeral.
                This still happens today for non-conformist burials, though now many cemeteries have a consecrated section for the C of E.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I thought consecrated ground was blessed by a C of E bishop?

Any Christian would be buried in a grave was consecrated at the time of the funeral. This still happens today for non-conformist burials
                  I am interested in what you mean by this as some of my relatives jumped through all sorts of hoops to make sure they were NOT in consecrated ground. One went to the trouble of having the churchyard wall knocked down and an extension made into the adjoining field, so that when he died his body could be put into unconsecrated ground, but still within the confines of the village burial ground! He seems to have had sufficient funds to placate the vicar etc! :D

I thought the whole point of unconsecrated ground in cemeteries is/was that it would be where non-C of E burials would take place???

Comment

I agree. I thought the cemeteries were built by local authorities with no religious stake at all, whereas churchyards would be consecrated by a bishop.

Comment

I have found the following as a possible explanation?

"The mode of burial is a matter of ecclesiastical cognizance; in the case of churchyards and elsewhere it is in the discretion of the owners of the burial ground. The Local Government Board now makes regulations for burials in burial grounds provided under the Burial Acts; for cemeteries provided under the Public Health Act 1879. Private cemeteries and burial grounds make their own regulations. Burial may now take place either with or without a religious service in consecrated ground. Before 1880 no body could be buried in consecrated ground except with the service of the Church, which the incumbent of the parish or a person authorized by him was bound to perform; but the canons and prayer-book refused the use of the office for excommunicated persons, majori excommunicatione, for some grievous and notorious crime, and no person able to testify of his repentance, unbaptized persons, and persons against whom a verdict of felo de se had been found. But by the Burial Laws Amendment Act 1880, the bodies of persons entitled to be buried in parochial burial grounds, whether churchyards or graveyards, may be buried there, on proper notice being given to the minister, without the performance of the service of the Church of England, and either without any religious service or with a Christian and orderly religious service at the grave, which may be conducted by any person invited to do so by the person in charge of the funeral. Clergymen of the Church of England are also by the act allowed, but are not obliged, to use the burial service in any unconsecrated burial ground or cemetery, or building therein, in any case in which it could be used in consecrated ground. In cases where it may not be so used, and where such is the wish of those in charge of the service, the clergy may use a form of service approved by the bishop without being liable to any ecclesiastical or temporal penalty. Except as altered by this act, it is still the law that "the Church knows no such indecency as putting a body into consecrated ground without the service being at the same time performed"; and nothing in the act authorizes the use of the service on the burial of a felo de se, which, however, may take place in any way allowed by the act of 1880. The proper performance of the burial office is provided for by the Public Worship Regulation Act 1874. Statutory provision is made by the criminal law in this act for the preservation of order in burial grounds and protection of funeral services."

Janet

Comment

No, cemeteries were opened because most city and many town churchyards were full to over-flowing.

I should have used the word blessed rather than consecrate (very remiss of me) ;) but it comes to more or less the same thing.
                        A Bishop consecrates which is in effect a wholesale blessing whereas the vicar or priest may only bless.
                        The blessing of the plot (consecration) comes after the absolution at the graveside.
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Any Christian would be buried in a grave was consecrated at the time of the funeral.
                          Maybe it's the "any Christian" that got me confused, as my non-con Christians were mostly Quakers, so there wouldn't have been any sort of minister at their burials.

Comment

Working...
                          X