Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old to register a death?

Just a quick question.

How old did you have to be in 1924 to register a death and to be the person on the certificate who actually registered it? Would a child of 14 or younger be allowed to do it?

Reason for question - a have received a death certificate for a gt gt uncle who was supposedly a batchelor only to discover that his death was registered by his daughter! and I'm now searching for a possible marriage for him. In 1901 census he is living with his sister in Gt Yarmouth. 1924 he dies in Heysham.

What is frustrating is that only the initials of the daughter are down but she does have his surname. I know that there might not be a marriage but as he was a Dr/Surgeon I need to discount it first.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

The youngest person I have registering an event was 15, but I think you just had to be old enough to convey the info required and provide the medical death cert, signed by the person certifying the death.

Marriage witnesses don't have a minimum age either.

Comment

Thanks Merry - on with register searching then!
      Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

The General Register Office website has no age limit on registering events.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
        X