Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquests

Hi,

Is there any online links where I can find information on two distant members of my wife's family who committed suicide?

On one of the death Certs it states " PM open verdict." I am guessing PM means "Post Mortem".

Any help would be useful.

Thank You

Michael

Have you tried the Times Archives?

When and where are you looking?

Welcome to the site as well.

Comment

Inquest records are closed for a period of time (70 years??) And many are actually destroyed, so the main port of call for Inquest details is newspaper records. Whether you can find out anything online would depend a lot on the date of the event(s).

Comment

Hi Harry's Mum and Thank You for your reply.

The mist is still strong , but I think it was Edinburgh and it happen around 1910-1920, her name was Nancy Charlotte Boughtwood and she was married to a painter , Hubert Lindsay Wellington (they married in 1901) . At the time of her death he was prinicipal of the Edinburgh school of Art. He then move to Henley on Thames.

That is really all I know, I have tried to Google, but only his paintings comes up (one selling for £3600 !!!)

Thank You again

Michael

Ps Thank You Merry.
        Last edited by Augustus; 29-06-08, 09:49. Reason: merry's post.

Comment

Hi Augsutus - I have found Hubert Lindsay Wellington in my 1945 Who's Who . He seems to have still been alive then - it mentions his wife, Nancy Charlotte Broughtwood, saying that she died in 1942.
          Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 29-06-08, 10:17.
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography gives death as 1943 ..

Upon his wife's death in 1943, after more than forty years of exceptionally close partnership, Wellington retired from Edinburgh to Oxfordshire.
            Elaine

Comment

Hi Muggins,

Thats our man, if it possible for the complete listing on him in who's who or where can i find the entry.

Thank you

Michael

Comment

The entry gives Hubert's dob as 1879 and his parents as Caleb J. Wellington and Katherine Potter.

He was educated at Crypt Grammar School, Gloucester, Gloucester and Birmingham Schools of Art, and the Slade School, Paris.

His address in 1945 (or at least, when the Directory was compiled) was The White House, North End, Henley on Thames.

Have to go out now, but can add more later ( the rest is all about his career)
                Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 29-06-08, 11:09.
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

There's an obit in The Times online archive for him, but details on her are glossed over.

Nothing about her death in the 1940's but it was wartime, so that's not surprising.

Comment

Gosh......washed the dinner dishes and you've got it!!!!

Google books has one of those annoying snippet views. Has Nancy death as 1942 and the next marriage (won't mention name in case she's still alive) in 1944.

Comment

Actually there's a few hits for the second wife on google, but I can't get any to open.

Why oh why does that happen????

Comment

Thank You,

This is what I have about second marriage :

"He resigns his post as prinicipal of the Edinburgh school of Art and came to live in Henley on Thames followed shortly by Nancys best friend who he duly marries."

Michael

Comment

Interesting............no I'll shut up LOL.

I'm starting to think like OC.........getting scared of myself.

Comment

HI

I found an article also in The Times that shows a death/obit of a female Irene Wellington 18th September 1984

It states that she was Miss Irene Bass who was born about 1905 she was appointed an instructor of Calligraphy in Edinburgh. In 1943 Irene's first marriage (to a cousin) had been annulled and through time ( a little) she moved back down to London. In 1944 after his first wifes death and after Wellingtons retirement from Edinburgh he and Irene were married, a fruitful 25years were to follow.

Sorry that it still doesn't state any facts relating to the death of his first wife.
                            WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                              Interesting............no I'll shut up LOL.

I'm starting to think like OC.........getting scared of myself.
                              Can I join your gang, Libby?!!

Comment

As for inquest reports, the best way to find them is usually to look in the local newspaper.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This gives Hubert's death as 1967! - http://www.barrykeenegallery.com/WEL...%20Lindsay.htm
                                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Michael

Does the death cert not actually give the physical cause of death?

I agree, newspapers are the way to go.

*huffily ignores those who do not appreciate my wonderful and usually inspired imagination*

OC

Comment

Hi, there is a Death Cert , but at the moment cannot get a look at it.

I will keep trying.

Thank you so far, for all your replies.

Michael

Comment

HI

I had some spare credits that needed using and I was being nosey to find out what was on the death cert. Only trouble is I can't make out all the writing - can anyone.

The death cert was dated as being 3/2/1942

WendyP

Comment

Working...
                                        X