1987 Birth of J L J (R) recorded at Bournemouth

1989 Marriage of A R & E B Poole

1989 Birth of A-L F (R) Poole}
    1989 Birth of A-L F (R) Poole} Same names
    1990 Birth of A-L F (R) Poole}

1990 Birth of J L J (R) Bournemouth

2000 Marriage of E B(R) to SL

These where all taken from the ledgers at FHC Islington

I think a second marriage, but why all the different recordings of births with different numbers?

You will only find one certificate, whichever you send for. They are cross-indexings, not unique registrations.

I would imagine:

Child born before parents marriage and indexed in both parent's names. Parents then marry and the child is issued with an amended certificate which legitimises him/her.

That gives you three indexings, but only one birth cert, no matter which one you order.

OC

Comment

James, it looks to me as though the first two children were born before their parents married each other, and then their births were re-registered after their parents got married. Does that make sense?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks all If J L J (R) and A-L F (R) where born before the marriage, I can then see the mother saying "Its about time we went and got married" then they booked the children in to the register again.

I have a total of 5 registrations

But can you do that after 2 years in one case?

Comment

Yes, you can do it 50 years later if you want! The act of marriage legitimises the child (of that couple).

I think the law is now that you MUST re-register the children when you marry. Historically, it was up to the couple whether they did, or didn't, and a lot of people didn't know they could.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC that clears up a point. Thanks.

Comment

I'm not sure if it is law to re-register children when the parents marry, but I remember one of the mums at my son's nursery talking (about 3 years ago) that they were re-registering their daughter after the marriage, as a father does not have full parental rights when the parents are unmarried, even if he is named on the certificate.
              If the the mother was to die (or abscond), he wouldn't automatically be granted custody of any children.
              The law may have changed since then, of course, to make it compulsory.
              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I'm sure I read very recently that it is now compulsory, but I will check.

EDIT - yes:

If the natural parents marry after the birth of their child they are required under the legitimacy Act 1976 to apply for the re-registration of their child's birth. Form (LA1).

(from Penzance Registration Office)

OC
                Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 29-06-08, 20:39.

Comment

Does anyone know if that should show up in the online indexes? (the re-registrations?)

Comment

Would the Father and Mother each register a child?
                    I have one who was registered in 1987 Twice
                    The parents married in 1987
                    In 1990 both children Brother ans sister where registered again

Unfortunately the ledgers changed from Quarterly to yearly

Comment

I thought the ledgers went from quarterly to monthly.

Comment

Were the 1987 birth registrations before the marriage?

Comment

Merry the first child J L J (R) was before the marriage in 1987, the marriage took place in 1989

No the ledgers changed approximately 1984 fro,m quarterly to yearly at least the ones at FHC Islington, which made it difficult to put a quarter to a B M D

Comment

You can only register a birth once, but the birth registration can be amended up to three times.

So, either one, or both parents together, register the birth of a child. You cannot do it individually (well, not legally, anyway).

An unmarried father cannot register the birth of his child without either the presence, or the written permission of the mother.

OC

Comment

I have a family member whose parents are not married, who is indexed under both parental surnames.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, if both parents go to register the birth and they are not married to each other, the birth will be indexed under both surnames, but it is just the one actual registration. Then if they subsequently marry each other the birth will be reregistered.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                X