Things we like about legacy 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things we like about legacy 7

Ohhhh just downloaded legacy 7 tonight after it's been sitting in my mail box for weeks....:o

Just allen in love with the carting option it's soo pretty!:D

I agree the charting is a huge step forward, although having the free preview a few months before the full release made this less of a novelty.

I haven't used the new SourceWriter yet, as I haven't added anyone new to my database lately, but I suspect this may prove to be the highlight for me (especially once they release the templates for the UK censuses and BMDs). I've been a bit haphazard over the years about what information I enter and where I put it (there are so many options with this program), but hopefully now it will be easier to stay consistent.

The mapping facility, which works with Microsoft's Virtual Earth, seems to work fairly well, as long as you have IE7 on your PC (it doesn't have to be your default browser. but the software has to be there). Having been a Google Earth fan since it came out, I've already explored where my ancestors lived and moved to, but it is nice having this feature integrated into the program.

To be honest, I've never fully used all of Legacy's capabilities, but I'm trying to upgrade my skills now that this release is finally here. Having seen what happened with FTM 2008, I glad Legacy didn't make too many changes to the basic program.

Tim
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Bear in mind that I've been without tree access for two years (and some of my gedcom exports are stamped Legacy3!) but the link to the IGI is terrific.

If any gunieapig is going to try sourcewriter, can they tell me if you need an Ancestry (or other)sub to use this. I've never really got to grips with Legacy sources and I'm putting a new tree (with lots of huge victorian familes) on. I don't know if I should be having master sources for each census image, or if there is another way to put all the details in just once and then link the family members in.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Phoenix,

I'm sure you don't need an Ancestry or other sub to use the SourceWriter, although if you do have one, then you would presumably show that as the repository for the your source data.

I certainly wouldn't identify each census image as its own Master Source, although you have the flexibility to do so if you want. Apparently, the world is divided into "lumpers" and "splitters". Lumpers (like me) might have one Master Source for each census, or one Master Source for the GRO Indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Splitters are more likely to have a Master Source for each county, parish, or enumeration district in each census, or a separate Master Source for each event (B, M amd D) for each Quarter for civil registration records.

As far as I can see, the choice between lumping and splitting comes down to:
        • how you want references to appear in reports
        • how you want to use sources as search criteria
        • whether you want/need to change information for a group of records using the Master Source List

You can use census returns as Sources for particular facts (e.g., dob, pob) and/or you can define censuses as Events on their own. I've only done the former so far, but I think I'll try the latter as well, to make sure that all of the census data I have is recorded.

As for how to enter information once and then apply it to several individuals, apparently this is what the Source Clipboard is for. I haven't actually used this yet, but there seems to be a good explanation on one of the training video previews here (there a 1 minute intro, followed by a 7 1/2 minute 'lesson').

Hope this helps -

Tim
        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thank you for that detailed explanation, Tim.
          The sourcewriter looks great as a way of saving time (though the example in the video sounds like very dull family history!) I am putting the link in favourites as I'll need to watch that tutorial a couple of times.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
          X