Is this the same place in Deptford?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the same place in Deptford?

Can anyone possibly help with tracing/finding a map showing a place/address in Deptford, Greenwich?

I am trying to find out if these two places in London (in or around 1841) could possibly be the same place.

32 Mill Lane in St Pauls, Deptford, Greenwich and Lambert Buildings, St Pauls, Deptford, Greenwich . Or could it be that Lambert Buildings might be where 32 Mill Lane was?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!!!
    Thank you
    elba

Sorry not knowing the area I can't tell.

Deptford is in London SE8 but I couldn't see a Mill Lane there, There's one at Woolwich SE18

Could try these links

www.postcode.royalmail.com/ - Post code finder

Streetmap.co.uk

House Prices, Property, Crime - Local Neighbourhood on UpMyStreet
    Last edited by JBee; 28-06-08, 23:52.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks JBee, but I'm almost certain that the roads/buildings no longer exist. 1841 wa a long tome ago and of course, being almost the 'East End' would hae suffered considerably during the Blitz. I had hoped that someone may 'know of' the Deptford of that time or of a map of that actual area. I have been looking at so many 'old' maps that I'm almost cross eyed!

Comment

There's this map from 1850:

MAPCO Map And Plan Collection Online : Cross's New Plan Of London 1850.

Couldn't see a Mill Lane, but there is a 'Windmill Lane'

Comment

Aha! Theres Mill Lane bottom right corner, from a slightly earlier map 1837

MAPCO Map And Plan Collection Online : Cary's Map Of London And Its Vicinity 1837.

Comment

Still there in 1850, (above the O slightly to left at bottom)

Comment

The relevant archives might be able to answer your query.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Lamberts Buildings, St Paul Deptford, GREENWICH [1881]

Iit's still there in 1881. If you can look at the census you can probably get some idea of where it was by the schedule and the surrrounding streets. Incidentelly Mill Lane was still there at that time too.

Comment

Mill Lane = Brookmill Road, Deptford/Lewisham SE8 on the modern maps, had it's name changed over years.

Comment

Ah no wonder I couldn't find it.

Couldn't find much to help

N.W.Kent Parishes: Deptford

Maps of East London, Essex, City of London. Railway Maps -  The site for History, Genealogy, census, comment, news updates, travel advice, local knowledge, flights, minicab, taxis,  trains - that International event in 2011 + 1, village news, local h - bottom right two maps

Victorian Lodging Houses

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee, Richard and Little Nell -
                      Thank you so much for your help with this. I just didn't know where to start. It seemed an insurmountable promblem. But over the few days I have been a member I KNOW this site doesn't accept that any problems are 'insurmountable.

Beware though - I have some other addresses in London I can't find either :D

Comment

Post them up and we'll see what we can do!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Seconded. Always managed to find my own..eventually! Happy to help.

Comment

Before I do anything else I must tell you that last night I found a Census (1891) showing Mill Lane and Lamberts Buildings...and they were in Mill Lane.

Then I surprised myself with my own ingenuity (I'm not particularly noted for such behaviour :o ). I pored over the map links you had posted and the advice about possible ways to find the info....

Then "EUREKA" (well, for me that is ) I thought 'OK, if I don't have a correctly spelled (Italian) name then I'll search for a common English one in the area...'.

So I entered a search for SMITH in Greenwich - got a few and following one for Deptford, there was the link to something I never knew existed - The Enumeration Districts. That area had over 40! But I set to and went through each in turn, and found what I wanted in No. 36! From there it was a small step to the actual Census page and there was the Italian with a totally mispelled name, living in Lamberts Buildings in Mill Lane.

So once again
                            THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU....

Comment

Good work Elba..great when it all comes together isn't it!

Comment

My relatives lived in Lamberts Building in 1891. I looked on the Census and the address after Lamberts Building was 1 Mill Lane so I'm guessing they were maybe at the end of the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X