Where's London Gone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's London Gone??

I was just using the Family Search version of the 1881 census.

Where's the drop-down selection for London gone? I tried Middlesex, but that only has Middlesex places (lol)

Any ideas please??

It's there for me.

Clicked census in left hand column and then put in country and loaded up the counties in the drop down menu and London was there.!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

London is there if you search by birth place but not if you want to search London. Very strange.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Ah, I think I've got it, but it's very odd.

Example.

Ancestry 1881 census

Margaret Attwell b 1811 in Ireland, living in Bethnal Green which is classed as London, not Middlesex.

Family Search 1881 census (which I thought Ancestry had a direst copy of, as all the same transcription errors occur)

Margaret Attwell b 1811 Ireland living in Bethnal Green, MIDDLESEX! lol

However, if you are on the search page for the census and do the drop down for England, then Middlesex and then City/Town, Bethnal Green is not listed :( Most of the places that are listed are Middlesex on Ancestry....though Chipping Barnet is in Middlesex according to Family Search but Ancestry have it in Hertfordshire, which is right, isn't it?? (I just noticed that one because it's near the top of the alphabetical list!)
        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 28-06-08, 21:10.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
          It's there for me.

Clicked census in left hand column and then put in country and loaded up the counties in the drop down menu and London was there.!!!
          That's not fair :(

*tries again*

Comment

Mine's the same as Wendy's

Comment

Sorry didn't look any further than the counties and London was there.

Just tried Margaret Attwell under London and she was there Bethnall Green, Middlesex but then tried under Middlesex county and she's not there.

Strange!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Whereas if I look for her under Middlesex then she is there, but I can't look for her under London!! wierd :(

Comment

Working...
                X