Quick PR question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick PR question..

Looking at some PRs today (1st time on fiche) and they were listed like this...
    The abbreviation page its so smudged that I cant read it!

Ann 1d, 27th May 1809, d to Thomas c sp H + Betty hw.(Stephen and Mary Morris) bo 21 Mar.

Is this what it means? and whats the 1d mean?
    That Ann's parents are Thomas a cotton spinner husband and Betty the housewife, she was born 21st march baptised 27th May and Stephen and Mary Morris are Bettys parents.

Sorry if I sound thick :o

]

Ann, Id, means first daughter.

The rest looks right as you have translated it!

Except - hw could mean "his wife".

OC

Comment

Thanks OC

She was his 1st daughter but I didnt see the obvious..

]

Comment

Lucky you to have the grandparents too!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I know Nell,

Im chuffed as Im only just starting with PRs so it must be beginners luck lol..

]

Comment

It's possible that the H after Thomas's details is an abbreviation for where they lived, but you would have to look at the abbreviations page to check that! It sounds as though what you were looking at was a transcription of the original PR entry - is it possible for you to get a look at the original entry?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite, It is a transcription of the original registers.

Yes I think you might be right as its in Hindley Lancs. The abbreviation page is so smudged that I cant make it out. the company I bought it from are sending me a new fiche sometime next week.

Thanks

]

Comment

I'm SO GLAD someone else has found such informative PRs in Lancashire!

Whenever I say "I often get the parents and grandparents", a hundred people step forward to tell me "you rarely get both parents, and never the grandparents" and I often think people think I'm making it up!

Vindicated!

OC

Comment

Working...
                X