Another death certificate - "laryngeal phthisis"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another death certificate - "laryngeal phthisis"

I knew the date of death of my great-grandfather, but I am making sure I have the complete set of certificates.

He died, aged 37, of laryngeal phthisis in 1902.

I have googled this condition out of curiosity (we have had phthisis before) and found the following:

Tresorie - THE TREATMENT OF PHTHISIS [Treatment Of Pthisis]

It's a really interesting article. What a horrible disease. It seems you rapidly become emaciated and starve to death.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Hi Elizabeth

My 5x great grandmother died of phthisis and then her daughter died of it another 18 months later. Looking at the length of time they had it, they contracted it at around the same time but the mother who was twice the age of the daughter obviously wasn't as strong. Very sad.

I think it is probably the main killer in my tree. My grandad had it when he was younger and was sent to switzerland for isolation!

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks for that article, Elizabeth.

Phthysis was another name for tuberculosis of the lungs and was the major killer before antibiotics.

Some famous writers who died of this include Keats, all the Bronte family and George Orwell.

I think it was probably regarded in the way that we regard cancer nowadays.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think he must have been ill or at least weak for some time. Look at his wedding photos in 1891:

Herbert Edward White married Ada Quintrell 13 Jan 1891

Herbert didn't work for very long. He was a draper in his father's business (there was a branch in Chertsey) but by 1901 he and Ada had moved to Islington where he died in 1902, and his occupation is "Draper (Retired". He was only 37. In 1901 my grandmother (an only child) is at a small boarding school in Chertsey, aged 8.

I know Ada adored him. Luckily, his parents were reasonably well off, so I'm sure they were looked after.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Don't all those people look thin to modern eyes!

Comment

Nell, of course they were very heavily corseted (the women, that is! :D)!

Look at Ada here (the bride):

Her waist is tiny! I would imagine this is after her marriage, as she is wearing a wedding ring.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

That waist is even tinier than gg granies! (it was her grandmother and auntie I mentioned earlier)

In fact it actually makes gg granny look a bit porkie! ;)
              Last edited by Tom Tom; 24-07-13, 13:59.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Do you know what it is your woman is holding?
                It looks like a photo.

Comment

No wonder Ada only had one baby! Think what it must have done to her internal organs!

(I can remember having an 18" waist when I was young, but I was very small for my age! Unfortunately, the measurement rose with my age!)
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Yes, Tom! I was wondering the same. It's the first time I have noticed because the original is much smaller and it is blown up here.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

My paternal grandmother allegedly had a 17" waist when she married. Certainly not the case after she'd had 4 children.

Mind you, when I checked Met Police records at Kew none of my gt uncles, strapping chaps from Norfolk, had a chest measurement bigger than mine!

Comment

I have also noticed something else that Ada is wearing:

It's a double-sided picture. The colours are still very good. Ada is one side and Herbert the other.

I have it in my possession (my mum put it in all the family history stuff!).
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Nell, when I have read the WWI records I have been struck how short a lot of them were (5'7" was the norm) and the chest measurements were small too.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Yes, I read somewhere that it was when they were so appalled at the bad physical state of many soldiers on joining up that they decided more needed to be done to improve public health.

What a lovely memento!

Comment

Almost one third of men who were called up/volunteered for WW1 were turned down because they were either not in good health, or failed the minimum physical requirements.

As Nell said, it was this which started a government interest in the nation's nutrition and welfare and led ultimately to the National Health Service.

OC

Comment

Working...
                              X